43S News

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
Jaymos

Re: 43S News

Post by Jaymos » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm

H2X wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Would a tri-state shift button appeal to the forum? That is, press once to activate the first shifted mode (f), once more to activate the second (g), and once more again to return to unshifted.
I find this an interesting idea that I can investigate to possibly have my personal version be DM42 keyboard compatible (with single shift key) (and possibly with no actual key stickers and only a large overlay).

I will look at the code for such thing in my alternative layout and report back if there is something to say.

Jaco
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
WP34C, HP42S, DM42 for complex math; 35S, 28C, 32Sii, WP34S, EL-506P, EL-W506, FX750P; owned FX702P & 11C; used 67 & 85. iOS: 42s (Byron), Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
43S operators right. DM42 sn. 03818.

inautilus

Post by inautilus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Re - maximizing utility:
Untapped potential also lies in 'shifting' each shift key. For example an [f] [g] press in sequence would yield [h]. Any thoughts ... ?
D A MacDonald
Mar Eng, Designer, CANADA
HP35, HP41C, HP28S, HP35s. PC: HP15C, Free42, WP31S, WP34S
(Operators Right in bold)
"It is not the strongest or most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change ..." Darwin

H2X

Post by H2X » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:36 am

inautilus wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 pm
Re - maximizing utility:
Untapped potential also lies in 'shifting' each shift key. For example an [f] [g] press in sequence would yield [h]. Any thoughts ... ?
There is the matter of exiting a shifted mode / undoing wrong shift key presses to consider. The [f] [g] sequence might read as "f pressed by mistake, but the mistake was corrected implicitly by pressing g".

Of course, the mistake might also be corrected explicitly by pressing [f] [f], then pressing [g]. Note that this sequence ends with [f] [g] and may have alternative interpretations if following your suggestion.

Combinations of (n) key presses to reach a (n + 1)th state start sounding confusing to me, but do we need this extra shifted state in the first place?
DM42 SN:00040 | Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible - Frank Zappa

inautilus

Post by inautilus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:03 am

Thank you H2X. The feedback is welcome, and appreciated.

My intent is to bring to light as many potential opportunities that may not have, as of yet, been considered. They then, once exposed in the brutal light of day, might be critiqued, beaten up, even dismissed, or ... possibly ... sometimes ... improved upon. It's all good ... a 'survival of the fittest sort of fate. Of course, ultimately, it would be up to the developers to consider their usefulness and feasibility.

An alternate entry method (untapped as of yet) might also be variations on: hold the first key down [f] in this case.... and then tapping the second [g] to effect/execute [h] ... or some other useful task (other than [h]).
D A MacDonald
Mar Eng, Designer, CANADA
HP35, HP41C, HP28S, HP35s. PC: HP15C, Free42, WP31S, WP34S
(Operators Right in bold)
"It is not the strongest or most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change ..." Darwin

H2X

Post by H2X » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:13 pm

inautilus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:03 am
Thank you H2X. The feedback is welcome, and appreciated.

My intent is to bring to light as many potential opportunities that may not have, as of yet, been considered. They then, once exposed in the brutal light of day, might be critiqued, beaten up, even dismissed, or ... possibly ... sometimes ... improved upon. It's all good ... a 'survival of the fittest sort of fate. Of course, ultimately, it would be up to the developers to consider their usefulness and feasibility.

An alternate entry method (untapped as of yet) might also be variations on: hold the first key down [f] in this case.... and then tapping the second [g] to effect/execute [h] ... or some other useful task (other than [h]).
Apologies if I sounded critical! I love exchanging ideas and running with them in all possible directions.

Assuming the answer to my last question is yes, we need the extra shifted state - and questions like how to deal with potentially ambiguous sequences of key presses (and labelling of keys) are answered as well, I am no stranger to the idea nor the debate.

Besides my recent tri-state shift key suggestion, which has some support in how some menu buttons work on other electronic devices (and even case switching in alpha mode on the DM42), I am also comfortable with the concept of long pressing (certain) keys to add extra semantics, if those semantics make sense and the overall user experience is good. And documentation concerns are met...
DM42 SN:00040 | Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible - Frank Zappa