Walter

Re: DM 48 .... WHY NOT ?!!!

Post by Walter »

DavidM wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm
sambutoki wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 pm
+1
I'll add to the votes calling for a DM 48 - or a DM 48/50 - BUT only with a 48G keyboard layout - the keyboard layout of the 50g is one of the few things I really dislike about that calculator.
A "DM 51" with the following features would be very enticing:
- 48g keyboard layout
- 50g firmware image (which may need to be loaded by purchaser, of course)
- Saturn code compatibility with "Saturnator" support (ala Emu48+)
- Some kind of support for accessing enhanced display resolution through custom programming
- Flash drive support >2GB

The compatibility of such a device would ensure a wealth of programs/libraries/etc. on day 1 (possible exception being the keyboard layout). The downside, of course, is that the inherent Saturn limitations would still exist (in particular address space with all the baggage it carries).

Overriding existing firmware support for standard 50g hardware (serial comm, I/R, flash drive, display, etc.) would be a challenge, I'm sure.

Never hurts to dream!
Well, the 48G keyboard means quite a footprint. If I'd be SwissMicros, I'd try to stay with the tools I've paid already before I turn to new ones.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
zx_spectrum

Post by zx_spectrum »

Walter wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:34 pm
DavidM wrote:
sambutoki wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 pm
+1
I'll add to the votes calling for a DM 48 - or a DM 48/50 - BUT only with a 48G keyboard layout - the keyboard layout of the 50g is one of the few things I really dislike about that calculator.
- 48g keyboard layout
- 50g firmware image (which may need to be loaded by purchaser, of course)
- Saturn code compatibility with "Saturnator" support (ala Emu48+)
- Some kind of support for accessing enhanced display resolution through custom programming
- Flash drive support >2GB

The compatibility of such a device would ensure a wealth of programs/libraries/etc. on day 1 (possible exception being the keyboard layout). The downside, of course, is that the inherent Saturn limitations would still exist (in particular address space with all the baggage it carries).

Overriding existing firmware support for standard 50g hardware (serial comm, I/R, flash drive, display, etc.) would be a challenge, I'm sure.

Never hurts to dream!
Well, the 48G keyboard means quite a footprint. If I'd be SwissMicros, I'd try to stay with the tools I've paid already before I turn to new ones.
Actually No ....
SwissMicros does NOT have to use any new tools at all. (Actually i have thought about this before)
the same frame and keyboard from DM42 can be used for 48 keyboard just the top row of white 48-keys (the soft menu keys ) will be integrated with the top row of DM42 keys and thus the soft keys on 48DM would be used in combination with another shift key. hence exactly the same way how hp42s soft keys are used to be implemented before Swiss Micros made dedicated row for them
Walter

Post by Walter »

zx_spectrum wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:29 pm
Walter wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:34 pm
DavidM wrote:

- 48g keyboard layout
Actually No ....
SwissMicros does NOT have to use any new tools at all. (Actually i have thought about this before)
the same frame and keyboard from DM42 can be used for 48 keyboard just the top row of white 48-keys (the soft menu keys ) will be integrated with the top row of DM42 keys and thus the soft keys on 48DM would be used in combination with another shift key. hence exactly the same way how hp42s soft keys are used to be implemented before Swiss Micros made dedicated row for them
Sounds like progress ... ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Walter wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:49 pm
Well, not so much to me. The soft-keys in the top row really need to always be nothing more than soft-keys on a 48/50-like system -- having to activate that as a mode would be problematic, since they also need to be shiftable on numerous planes (including shift-hold). So if those are dedicated, that implies another row would need to be dropped and shifted in. The arrow keys are also very important in general use of these systems, and they already have special meaning when shifted. So that leaves the "SIN COS TAN SQRT Y^X 1/X" row. I'd hate to lose those, too (though I usually reassign the trig keys since I rarely use their default functions -- I more frequently use LN/e^x/LOG).

For me personally, I think dropping a row of keys would affect usability too much. It's also my suspicion that people who actually like the RPL units don't have the same negative reaction to the incremental size that 1 additional row of keys would require. ;) It would still be smaller than an actual 48g/x.

Having to re-tool for a different hardware design would definitely incur substantial up-front cost, and SM would have to determine if there's enough of a market to justify it.
CalcFreak

Post by CalcFreak »

I'm in for 2 units. 8-)
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

CalcFreak wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 am
I'm in for 2 units. 8-)
Whoa there! This is only a "what if?" kind of conversation. There are currently no plans that I know of for Swiss Micros to produce a DM48 or equivalent.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Walter

Post by Walter »

DavidM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:24 pm
Walter wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:49 pm
Well, not so much to me. ...
You didn't read the emoticon, did you? :? I share your opinion that a DM48 isn't worth the cost.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

I'm in for -2 units.

#equilibrium

:lol:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

The firmware is open source. If someone thinks they can clone a 48 with the DM42 hardware, go ahead.

I can't. I don't have the skills necessary.

Nor the desire.

Now, a LANDSCAPE DM42.... that'd make me part with more cash in a heartbeat.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Weird and weirder. :roll:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold