Forum section for other models?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Vartio L.

Forum section for other models?

Post by Vartio L. »

Hey,

Is it possible to give own forum sections for DMxxy models other than DM42.
Michael
Site Admin

Re: Forum section for other models?

Post by Michael »

that should be possible. Please ask Moderator grsbanks to set it up.

Thanks & Best regards,
Michael Steinmann
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

It should indeed be doable.

Did you have any specific model in mind and a particular kind of topic? This is in order to try and make the forum structure grow organically around real-world centres of interest instead of trying to be too rigid.

There was a conversation previously on what structure to adopt but I don't think a real consensus was reached. For example, the DM41 is sufficiently different to the DM11/12/15/16 from a usage point of view to merit its own section, but all of the existing DM machines (except the DM42) share the same electronics and firmware is interchangeable between them (ie. you can flash a DM12 with the DM16's firmware and confuse the hell out of someone with the machine!). Then again, the housing of the CC sized machines is clearly different to the Voyager-like machines, so there are good reasons to split things up by model but also reasons to group them together. Trying to have a section for each format and/or model is going to make a rather cluttered forum!

Forums can be rearranged on the board after the fact but it would still be good to try and get it as close as "right" as possible to start with.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Vartio L.

Post by Vartio L. »

grsbanks wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:19 pm
It should indeed be doable.

Did you have any specific model in mind and a particular kind of topic? This is in order to try and make the forum structure grow organically around real-world centres of interest instead of trying to be too rigid.

There was a conversation previously on what structure to adopt but I don't think a real consensus was reached. For example, the DM41 is sufficiently different to the DM11/12/15/16 from a usage point of view to merit its own section, but all of the existing DM machines (except the DM42) share the same electronics and firmware is interchangeable between them (ie. you can flash a DM12 with the DM16's firmware and confuse the hell out of someone with the machine!). Then again, the housing of the CC sized machines is clearly different to the Voyager-like machines, so there are good reasons to split things up by model but also reasons to group them together. Trying to have a section for each format and/or model is going to make a rather cluttered forum!

Forums can be rearranged on the board after the fact but it would still be good to try and get it as close as "right" as possible to start with.
I'm more interested in DM specific things like firmware, firmware updates, PC tools, backups maybe maintenance of unit itself. Maybe HW or SW hacks in the future (I doubt though.). I only have DM15, so I have no other experience of Voyagers nor 41Cx series.

I think one general section based on the HW would be OK, maybe one extra general use section for the Voyager and one for 41 as a "Help my calc show 1 when I try to calculate 1+1" :lol: .
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Vartio L. wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 12:30 am
... one for 41 as a "Help my calc show 1 when I try to calculate 1+1" :lol: .
I would respectfully suggest that someone buying an RPN calculator with no knowledge of RPN has bigger issues.

My suggestion: a section for production units and a section for beta units.
Vartio L.

Post by Vartio L. »

Yep. Something like that. A section per HW platform I would assume, the DM42 would be then case in its own.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Vartio L. wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 pm
Thought you'd be interested in this: viewforum.php?f=8
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Vartio L.

Post by Vartio L. »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am
Vartio L. wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 pm
Thought you'd be interested in this: viewforum.php?f=8
Great.. ;)