DM42 release date please...

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
grsbanks

Re: DM42 release date please...

Post by grsbanks »

Thanks for letting us know, sorry you're having problems!

I'll pass the information on and ask someone to get back to you.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

I received a confirmation email before providing the credit card info.
After validating my card info, i got to the SM homepage instead of the confirmation page you could expect "houray we received your payment info, just click to print a receipt" -you know the usual stuff on the web platforms-.

Yet, I hope the order is actually confirmed in this process. ;-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HP48G, DM42 (# 276), a slide rule and a C compiler :-)
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Olaf wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:14 pm
I received a confirmation email before providing the credit card info.
After validating my card info, i got to the SM homepage instead of the confirmation page you could expect "houray we received your payment info, just click to print a receipt" -you know the usual stuff on the web platforms-.

Yet, I hope the order is actually confirmed in this process. ;-)
Thanks, your order is confirmed.
etn

Post by etn »

My first post on this forum... ordered one too :) I had been debating for a while between getting a HP Prime or a DM42. The DM42 won for 2 reasons: although a nice device, the HP Prime is certainly overkill for my needs; secondly, I am a long time HP-42 user therefore I expect the learning phase to be short (or even inexistent). The HP-42 works fine, for that matter, but I wouldn't mind something more modern with full stack display and I/O capability. I am also very curious about what the future will bring in terms of firmware extensions.

Now that I am done with telling everyone about my uninteresting life, I come to the object of this post, which is to express a warm thank you to Michael as well as to every other person involved in this project! :)

Merry Xmas time to all :)
Walter

Post by Walter »

etn wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:05 pm
... I am a long time HP-42 user therefore I expect the learning phase to be short (or even inexistent). The HP-42 works fine, for that matter, but I wouldn't mind something more modern with full stack display and I/O capability.
I'm confident you can start right away. :) Regarding I/O, it depends on what you mean: there are 6 MB flash memory available for data exchange via USB e.g. for up- and downloading programs.

Finally, you want full stack display. You will get it. Though I wonder what for you need it: do you still have no confidence in RPN stack mechanics? It works as advertised for 45 years now ... :mrgreen:
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
etn

Post by etn »

Hi Walter,
thank you for your comments! As a matter of fact I have been following the DM42 for a while, watching videos etc. (even reading this forum, although I registered only today for the purpose of posting my thank you message)
I read the documentation about how I/O is done and I think it is implemented in a very good way. 6MB is more than enough!
About the full stack display: I wrote this because I saw it on the DM42 videos. Although I do not absolutely need it, I like the fact that it is there. It is a nice to have feature in my opinion, in order to better follow intermediate results and seeing them without needing to rotate the stack. Just a matter of comfort I guess! As a side note, I have been using RPN for over 25 years now, with different calculators ranging from HP-48 to 42, 16c, 35s etc. I am currently using a 12c for the accounting class I am taking next to my (engineering) job. As you see I fully trust RPN and am comfortable with 1-level display! :)
Regards,
Etienne
tycho

Post by tycho »

While we wait, here is a text searchable version of the hp-42s pdf manual with full chapter bookmarks that I prepared a few years back. You can get the original at hp41.net.
Last edited by tycho on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... DM42" ― Adam Douglas
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

Just a dumb question to the owners of the beta hardware:
What about customs, for delivery to germany:
how much (if applicable) did you pay?
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

HP42-DM42 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:43 pm
I worry your name here will cause confusion.

I had no customs charges for it in the UK.
Walter

Post by Walter »

HP42-DM42 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:43 pm
Just a dumb question to the owners of the beta hardware:
What about customs, for delivery to germany:
Nothing, zero.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041