I can‘t access my DM42 via USB

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Sifactor

I can‘t access my DM42 via USB

Post by Sifactor »

I just want to load another bitmap to the OffFiles, but I just can‘t get any contact with PC or Mac via File > Activate USB. I tried two different USB cables as well. Calculator shows me „Bluetooth connected“ in Status nur that‘s it. No reaction in PC or Mac.
Can anybody give me a hint what‘s wrong?
Thanks in advance
DM 41X and DM42
Thoric314

Re: I can‘t access my DM42 via USB

Post by Thoric314 »

Please see this post and all the answers/comments to it:

viewtopic.php?p=3804#p3804

My guess is that you have this problem. For me I had (by chance a good cable at work) but none of the home tested cable fit inside the DM42. I modify one of my home cable (cutting the edge as explained there) and since I have never see this problem again.

Hoping to help you! Bye
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Sifactor wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm
I just want to load another bitmap to the OffFiles, but I just can‘t get any contact with PC or Mac via File > Activate USB. I tried two different USB cables as well. Calculator shows me „Bluetooth connected“ in Status nur that‘s it. No reaction in PC or Mac.
Can anybody give me a hint what‘s wrong?
Thanks in advance
What calculator displays „Bluetooth connected“ ? I can assure you the DM42 does not display error messages about Bluetooth.

And I agree with Thoric314; in every one of these cases, it turns out to be either a power-only cable - OR - the cable cannot be inserted deeply enough because the back-shell hits the Dm42 metal case.

You may be able to trim the plastic on your current cable, however if you need to buy a new cable, I suggest this one, which has an extra-long connector, which makes proper insertion into the DM42 easy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CX6XO8
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Sifactor

Post by Sifactor »

I tried trimming cables already yesterday but was unsuccessful. Today it worked with third cable I tried. But...
During editing the offline bitmap files, connection must have failed, calculator hung up. PC wants to format USB drive now wich I didn't allow.
Restart of DM42 only by resetting possible; just one offline bmp left (sleeping owl).
What to do now?
DM 41X and DM42
Walter

Post by Walter »

Du brauchst ein Datenkabel, das an beiden Enden zuverlässig kontaktiert. Normalerweise ist nur das MicroUSB-Ende kritisch. Das muss schön satt in der DM42-Buchse sitzen (notfalls Kabelisolierung etwas kürzen). Wenn das gegeben ist und auch das andere Ende fest sitzt, dann ist hardwaremäßig alles bereit für erfolgreiches Arbeiten. Dann bitte der Anleitung von SM folgen...

Wenn's dann immer noch nicht klappt, gibt es entweder innere Hardwarefehler (selten) oder es ist bei den vorherigen Aktionen etwas "kaputtgemacht" worden.

(Some advise in German.)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Sifactor

Post by Sifactor »

Connection crashed as described above. USB Drive now lost. How to restore USB Drive? By formatting it from PC or Mac?
DM 41X and DM42
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Sifactor wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 pm
USB Drive now lost. How to restore USB Drive? By formatting it from PC or Mac?
If you need to reformat the internal flash drive, you can and should do it directly from the DM42.

[yellow] [SETUP] [5] System [2] Enter System Menu [5] Format FAT Disk

and follow directions. The necessary directories will be automatically created. You can then download all the content from the SwissMicros website to your PC or MAC hard drive for transfer to the DM42. It is advisable to backup the entire contents of the FAT Disk to your PC or MAC in case you again need to reformat the FAT Disk.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.