Fancy Leather Cases

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
reavy

Fancy Leather Cases

Post by reavy »

Has anyone investigated, or considered making and selling, nicer leather cases for any of the DM calculators? The leatherette ones that are included with some of the SwissMicros products are nice, and there used to be some additional leather cases available for the CC-sized calculators (I don’t see these on the web site right now — maybe they haven’t been ported over yet from the old site?), but I’m thinking of something like a full-grain leather slip case with flap cover for the DM-42 and DM-41X. Something similar to the nicer leather covers available for the HP-41 of yore.

I did see a thread where someone was using a leather smartphone belt holster and the ensuing argument about global trade, but that doesn’t quite fit the bill.
rprosperi

Re: Fancy Leather Cases

Post by rprosperi »

reavy wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 pm
Has anyone investigated, or considered making and selling, nicer leather cases for any of the DM calculators? The leatherette ones that are included with some of the SwissMicros products are nice, and there used to be some additional leather cases available for the CC-sized calculators (I don’t see these on the web site right now — maybe they haven’t been ported over yet from the old site?), but I’m thinking of something like a full-grain leather slip case with flap cover for the DM-42 and DM-41X. Something similar to the nicer leather covers available for the HP-41 of yore.

I did see a thread where someone was using a leather smartphone belt holster and the ensuing argument about global trade, but that doesn’t quite fit the bill.
This is a great idea, and I would very likely purchase more than one. The leather cases HP sold for the Pioneer series (came in Black, Brown, and Burgundy (also called red or oxblood) are just about a perfect fit, and IMHO are a great guide for an appropriate design. These Pioneer cases are a bit too deep for the SM models since the original Pioneer machines were a bit thicker, however these do allow one to keep small QRG type guides, such as the one still sold for the HP-42S inside the case, e.g. to protect the keyboard on the front.

I hope you, or someone, decides to sell these.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
STS-741

Post by STS-741 »

reavy wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 pm
The idea is not bad, but if you can't find anything suitable at the moment, an appropriate initiative would be the best solution. My suggestion would be to have the leather covers made by a company according to customer requirements. This also has the advantage that you can choose the leather according to your ideas. You simply send them the dimensions of the individual devices and possibly also the supplied case, then the rest should only be a matter of negotiation. So it's only a question of who would be interested and which company is ready to manufacture the cases individually. 8-)
reavy

Post by reavy »

I know of a fine leatherworker that I'm considering engaging for this project. I am looking for examples of vintage HP calculator pouch designs to emulate. If anyone could share images and/or links to images of examples they like, I can use that to develop and gauge interest in particular designs. Thanks!

Edit: These pouches/cases would be specifically for the DM42 and DM41X. I'm not going to pursue Voyager-sized cases at this point.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

There's an example of HP's Black Pioneer case in this eBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HP-42S ... 4007073523

Pics aren't great, but gives you a good idea.

Suggest you show it to the leather worker and see what questions he/she has, I can try to answer them as I have many of these cases and could examine/measure them if needed.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
reavy

Post by reavy »

Thanks for the link, Bob.

I just found this archived thread. https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwra ... ead=208596 Gfeller actually still sells this voyager case, and it's surprisingly inexpensive for Gfeller. https://gfeller.us/product/slip-cover-for-calculator/ Looking further down in the MoHPC thread, there's a 42S case which is a good example of what I'm thinking of.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Same here: I've got HP's true leather cases for Pioneers and Voyagers. They are the best you can get for these calculators. If you need some dimensions I can provide them (no statistics, just one or two specimens). But I think they tend being a bit soft - Gfeller's Voyager case looks more rigid giving better protection (though wearing the calc with the steel back out should be protection enough ;) ).

IF people want to carry their calculator at their belt then don't forget providing something like a solid loop.

EDIT: Don't leave aside the smartphone market - there may be models showing almost the same dimensions. And such a mass market product will be most probably far less expensive than anything custom made.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
reavy

Post by reavy »

Walter, good points. Can you share the dimensions you have? Ideally I'd send a sample DM42 and leatherette case to the casemaker for comparison, but they're too precious to spare right now ;)

I am considering a belt loop, and I have also been experimenting with smartphone cases I already own. Waterfield (sfbags.com) sells a product called the Finn Wallet (zippered) that comes in some sizes that look like they'd be a good fit. I own an older one that is working for my DM42 right now.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Ok, reavy, I'll do the measurements at daylight (some 9h from now).

EDIT (2020-11-07): Made in Korea. Very clean sewing. Dimensions:
Outside: length without flap 149 mm, width 89 mm, height (unloaded) ~18 mm, streched ~24 mm;
flap: straight length 86 mm, trapezoidal shape with minimum width 78 mm, top 42 mm are stiffened.
The flap can be put under a 12 mm wide bartack (?) some 35 mm from the opening of the case.
Maximum inner space assuming a calculator with rectangular cross section: width ~80 mm, height ~20 mm.
It takes a DM42 easily.

As mentioned it's a soft product, so ±2 mm for all height values must be taken into account.

Pictures are on the web.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
STS-741

Post by STS-741 »

reavy wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:20 pm
I just found this archived thread. Gfeller actually still sells this voyager case, and it's surprisingly inexpensive for Gfeller. Looking further down in the MoHPC thread, there's a 42S case which is a good example of what I'm thinking of.
If someone likes that, why not, but I was thinking of something much more sophisticated, possibly exotic, made of lizard or ostrich leather, in different colours, without a belt loop, but with a flap that completely closes the case. That's certainly not cheap, it would be as elaborately manufactured as a wallet, but it would be a worthy cover for expensive pocket calculators like those from SwissMicros. :)