Is purchasing DM16L as well as DM42 redundant?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
reavy

Re: Is purchasing DM16L as well as DM42 redundant?

Post by reavy »

If you could have only one calculator, would the 42 or the 41 (in either of HP original or DM clones) be the more powerful? Even though the 42 is newer, it seems like the 41 might be more flexible and expandable overall.
Walter

Post by Walter »

If you have infinite time, take the HP-41CX if you can get one. If you're short in time, take the DM42. YMMV
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
jthole

Post by jthole »

reavy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:53 pm
If you could have only one calculator, would the 42 or the 41 (in either of HP original or DM clones) be the more powerful? Even though the 42 is newer, it seems like the 41 might be more flexible and expandable overall.
I'm a bit in the same boat; I could afford to buy one production level DM calculator, either a DM42 or a DM41X.

I'm a long time HP 11C user, and I bought a DM41X Beta version when it was available (after trying a DM41L, and selling that again after concluding that I didn't like it). I had a lot of fun with it, but unfortunately the DM41X landed in a drawer after a while, due to keyboard issues and my own laziness to get those resolved. Sometime ago, Michael solved those issues for me in a very satisfactory way, so I picked up the DM41X Beta again. As earlier this year, I am very impressed by the possibilities, and the customisation options. With the Advantage and Machine Design packs (mostly for the unit conversions) loaded, and some simple programs, it is all I need.

That would make it easy; buy a DM41X production unit, if only for the superior keyboard (judging the reviews). But on the other hand, the DM42 plus the unit conversion program on Thomas Okken's site also offers everything I need, based on trying Free42. And given my needs and history (HP 11C), I am certainly not a hard core HP 41CX user.

Pros of the DM41X are the full customisability of the keyboard, the fact that no menus are needed, and the wealth of available modules (even if I probably don't need many of them). My main objection is the lack of named variables.

Pros of the DM42 are the named variables (a big plus), which are also available for use in the solver, and the fact that the DM42 and Free42 on my phone have the same user interface. The menus, in my opinion, are a mixed blessing. Easy to navigate and to remember, but I feel the DM41X is just as easy once you configured it the way you like.

So the question for me is; how much worth are the named variables, and the same UI between my phone and the calculator, for me? Taking into account that I already have a Beta DM41X unit, and the only difference with the production unit is the improved keyboard.
DM42 s/n 06181 DM41X s/n \(\beta\)0005 (sold)
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

jthole wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 am
So the question for me is; how much worth are the named variables, and the same UI between my phone and the calculator, for me? Taking into account that I already have a Beta DM41X unit, and the only difference with the production unit is the improved keyboard.
Everybody's usage patterns will be different. For my part, named variables are a "nice to have" thing on an RPN calculator, but I don't miss them at all on the 41 or on any other machine that only has numbered registers.

Don't forget that you can "simulate" named variables by using files in Extended Memory or in a virtual HEPAX module on the DM41X, although storing/recalling clearly isn't going to be as simple as STO/RCL a named variable, but you can go some way towards that by writing accessor programs where you feed the name of the "variable" that you want to store/recall to them in the alpha register and they do the heavy lifting opening the file and copying the value in or out.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
jthole

Post by jthole »

grsbanks wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:03 am
jthole wrote:
Everybody's usage patterns will be different. For my part, named variables are a "nice to have" thing on an RPN calculator, but I don't miss them at all on the 41 or on any other machine that only has numbered registers.
The main use case for named variables, for me, is the solver. It allows me to keep a few equations in memory, and I don't need to remember what goes in which register ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

jthole wrote:
Pros of the DM41X are the full customisability of the keyboard, the fact that no menus are needed, and the wealth of available modules (even if I probably don't need many of them). My main objection is the lack of named variables.

Pros of the DM42 are the named variables (a big plus), which are also available for use in the solver, and the fact that the DM42 and Free42 on my phone have the same user interface. The menus, in my opinion, are a mixed blessing. Easy to navigate and to remember, but I feel the DM41X is just as easy once you configured it the way you like.

You forgot mentioning speed. Nevertheless I am afraid the decision is strictly personal. Just to let you sleep better (or worse): the 43S will have named variables AND full keyboard customization AND speed - the latter you can experience right now, for the other two you have to wait a bit but find them in the specs.

Happy deciding!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
jthole

Post by jthole »

Walter wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 am
You forgot mentioning speed.
My daily calculator is a HP 11C :lol:

Looking at the proposed keyboard layout for the 43S, my initial conclusion is that it's overkill for me ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

jthole wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 pm
Looking at the proposed keyboard layout for the 43S, my initial conclusion is that it's overkill for me ;)
You can customize it to underkill. 8-)
jthole

Post by jthole »

Walter wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 am
Happy deciding!
Done! This morning I ordered a DM42 ;-)