Enter Key Double Click

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
warc1

Enter Key Double Click

Post by warc1 »

I'm a new DM42 owners and am very pleased with it with one exception. Pressing the "Enter" key often results in a double click in tactile response which just feels wrong. Fortunately, it doesn't result in the calculator interpreting this as two separate key presses. It always responds as if the "Enter" key was pressed just once. Still, I've never experienced this on any of the number of HP calculators that I've owned. Is this normal?
bernouilli

Re: Enter Key Double Click

Post by bernouilli »

This is kind of "normal" since the ENTER key has two swicthes (domes) and if you press right in the middle, you manage to press them both.
The hp41 doesn't have this problem since th ENTER key only has 1 dome in the middle.
I suppose there is some reason why SW put 2 domes instead of 1 under the ENTER key.
DM15L - DM42 - DM41x
firai

Post by firai »

It's normal for the DM42 and 41X. You might notice that the ENTER key spans exactly two columns of keys (as compared to the keys above), and there are indeed two domes under the ENTER key that align with the columns above. I'm guessing that SM did it this way to avoid the additional complexity of a custom switch layout at that location given the relatively small scale of production. My understanding is that the interpretation of those two keys as one key is done at the firmware level.

It feels a little weird at first, but on the bright side, the ENTER key is secure along the whole length this way. After years of use, my HP 35S ENTER key is now very loose where it's not directly supported by a dome, just like a tooth that's about to fall out.
Sam
Walter

Post by Walter »

Mechanically, guiding a wide key in a way it hits one dome properly shouldn't have been a problem - compare HP's designs through decades. But there may have been reasons for SM I can only speculate about. At the bottom line, most important is proper functionality overall.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
warc1

Post by warc1 »

Thanks for the explanation. Knowing that, I've discovered that pressing the key off center to either side will usually result in just one click. That's a sufficient work around for me.