Re: DM42 with homemade printer

Post by rprosperi »

Walter wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:19 pm
grsbanks wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Walter wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Watch it: the UK isn't in the EU anymore while Ireland is (and Scotland will be). Splendid isolation.
Bob said "in EU" as an abbreviation of "in Europe". Not in the EU :)
Advantage to native speakers - they can always claim they've written something different. ;)
A strategic advantage to be sure!!
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:42 pm
rprosperi wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:13 pm
To be totally clear, since Godwin described the conditions in UK, I was addressing the rest of Europe (which I think = the EU) [...]
Nope. :mrgreen:

Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, The Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, and Ukraine are all in Europe and not in the EU. Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway are in the EEA, though, which for many purposes amounts to the same thing, and Switzerland has a similar status, due to a set of bilateral treaties.

Whether you want to include Turkey in the list of countries in Europe but not in the EU due to its tiny European portion is a matter of taste.
Well, so not even warm there...in fact missed by a country mile (just over 1.609344 km for those needing local units).

Wow, (googling a bit) there are actually 51 countries is Europe, many more than even Thomas' humbling list has shamed me into learning; as a somewhat typical American I've not even heard of one of them (Andorra).

As a trend regarding the topic at hand though, I'd say one conclusion for many USA sellers not shipping to international buyers is the extra 'work' to ship there, which is not the case going the other way.

For folks that use localized eBay markets other than .com (.uk, .it, .de, others?), and lets limit this to calculators, do most sellers offer to worldwide-, EU- only, or that country only customers?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:29 pm
For folks that use localized eBay markets other than .com (.uk, .it, .de, others?), and lets limit this to calculators, do most sellers offer to worldwide-, EU- only, or that country only customers?
The localized variants of eBay actually show exactly the same items as the US version. What users do is filter out stuff not from their own locale, but that's a user decision, not an eBay decision.

In my experience, there are more US sellers that refuse to ship outside the US than, for example, EU sellers that refuse to ship outside Europe (whether the EU or not).
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
pyridine

Post by pyridine »

I have been able to purchase quite a few items from the US, and get them shipped to France, by using the "Global Shipping Program" of eBay.
Does not come cheap (buyer pays for international shipment + tax, about 12 $ + 22.5% of the item price) in addition to the shipping cost within US (and the item itself !).
But on the US seller side, it is quite painless: he receives a US based address for the shipment (I think it is in Erlanger, KY), thus no problem for him to get the parcel picked-up at home, and then it is re-routed toward the buyer by eBay's partner...
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

To clarify:
EU = European Union
EUR = Europe
EEA = European Economic Area (which is "EU light" and including Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein)
UK = United Kingdom (No longer in EU/EEA)
Switzerland = Independent trade associations with EU/EEA

To claim that EU is both European Union and Europe is like claiming Canadians are Americans. (Well, technically they are as the country is located on the North American continent). (PPS! I did that bigtime blooper once, like 25 years ago, and only dodged that black eye d.t my hastily explanation as above and the fact that I am not a native English/American/Canadian speaker ;) ).
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).
Walter

Post by Walter »

Just two facts in addition: EU = 27 states with 450E6 inhabitants - so less states than the USA but a bit more people. And a lot more history and tradition. Invented democracy some 2500 years ago. Etc.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Joe Horn

Post by Joe Horn »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:29 pm
... as a somewhat typical American I've not even heard of one of them (Andorra).
Although it's a very tiny country, Andorra has been featured on my Flags and Anthems of the Countries of the World of the Great HP 48 Enthusiasts web page since 1998! Andorra was only included in this table of HP 48 Enthusiasts because the name of its national anthem is "The Great Charlemagne", which unofficially makes EVERY citizen of Andorra an HP 48 Enthusiast. :D

Pardon this silly digression. I couldn't help myself.
dk-

Post by dk- »

If I can be so bold as to borrow my thread back from the discussion on geopolitical definitions, I have a small update on my printer :)

I had some time today to write some more code. I now have the code running on a single Arduino Uno and it uses the correct font! That is, as far as I could decipher from a printout. There might be some pixels wrong here and there on some of the characters.

So I have a request, can anyone who has a real HP printer help me out? It would be awesome if you could do a few self-tests (more than one since each print might not be perfect) and take a high resolution picture or scans of it and add to the thread? In return I will make sure that all my code will be available for free.

dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

dk- wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:34 pm
So I have a request, can anyone who has a real HP printer help me out? It would be awesome if you could do a few self-tests (more than one since each print might not be perfect) and take a high resolution picture or scans of it and add to the thread? In return I will make sure that all my code will be available for free.
Here are two pictures of two different self-test prints with different print contrast :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opfdr80plfidf ... 7.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu1ksudzzpx9h ... 3.jpg?dl=0
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
dk-

Post by dk- »

dlachieze wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:49 pm
Here are two pictures of two different self-test prints with different print contrast :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opfdr80plfidf ... 7.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu1ksudzzpx9h ... 3.jpg?dl=0
Many thanks!

Here is the updated code: https://github.com/dankar/redeye

I've added some instructions on how to get it all up and running as well.