A couple of board features just added

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
grsbanks

A couple of board features just added

Post by grsbanks »

Hi all,

I just added a couple of extensions to the board software used here.

Firstly, I added an extension that ensures that links to other sites get opened in a new browser tab or window to make it easier for you to go back to the forum post from which you clicked on the external link. Links to other posts on this forum still open in the same page, however.

Secondly, I installed a MathJax extension that allows you to write mathematical expressions in LaTex for something a hell of a lot more pleasing to the eye than was possible up until now. You should see a "latex" button above the text input area. You don't have to type the \( and \) surrounding your expression, the extension adds that itself, so to insert, say \(a=\pi r^2\) in your post simply, type "a=\pi r^2" (without the quotes, obviously), select it and click the "latex" button.

Finally, I added a "Testing" forum where you can... well... test stuff before posting it where people are actually going to take notice.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Over_score

Re: A couple of board features just added

Post by Over_score »

Maybe you could rename "Testing" into "Sandbox".
DM42 SN00284 & SN03835 running C47, HP34C, HP41CV, HP42S, HP35s, WP34S, HP Prime
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

When browsing without logging in, the DM41X forum is invisible.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:15 pm
When browsing without logging in, the DM41X forum is invisible.
Good point. That was desirable while in beta phase but no longer.

Should be fixed now.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
gmac42

Post by gmac42 »

I don't see why you would want to prevent users from opening external links in the same tab (but I also don't mind that much).
But MathJax is certainly a good idea!
Thank you!
DM41X #542, DM42 #650, DM41L #801, HP 41CX, HP 41CV, HP 50G, HP11C, TI 89
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

gmac42 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:26 pm
I don't see why you would want to prevent users from opening external links in the same tab (but I also don't mind that much).
But MathJax is certainly a good idea!
Thank you!
Its not preventing that, the change is the default for what happens when you (left-)click a link; Now, if it's in this same site, it opens in the same tab, but if it's off-site, it will open in a new tab. Until now, all links always opened in the same tab (annoying to some, comfy to others). But you can right-click and open a link wherever you like.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100