Use the IR of DM42(or any HP calculator) for commercial IR?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
jonmoore

Re: Use the IR of DM42(or any HP calculator) for commercial IR?

Post by jonmoore »

Nazar wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:23 pm
I can only afford one, not both :(
I'd suggest that on balance that the 41x offers a great deal considering it's virtually feature complete and 50 Euro cheaper that the 42 due to the beta discount.

The great thing about the 41 scene is that talented folk like Ángel Martin have been mining 40+ years of 41 programming gold and retrofitting the routines to take advantage of MCODE so the routines run far faster; and these functions/routines are accelerated still further via the DM hardware's ability to run at an equivalent to the 41CL's turbo mode - with a usb connection that's 80mhz!

I don't personally see the DM41x as a nostalgia purchase, it's completely reinvented the 41 platform for modern uses much like the 41CL accelerator board (without the heavy cost of ownership of the 41CL).

And then just down the line the DM43s is on the horizon which has a whole over world of advantages. Get the 41x now and get saving to buy the 43s next spring... 8-)
coolepascal

Post by coolepascal »

Although i own a HP82240, I'm experimenting to create a RedEye to serial interface using eighter a microcontroller or an FPGA (trying both paths)
The Idea is to hookup small ticket printers i found in my junkbox.
It'l take some time to get results but if you are interested i'll drop some posts later.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

coolepascal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:41 pm
Although i own a HP82240, I'm experimenting to create a RedEye to serial interface using eighter a microcontroller or an FPGA (trying both paths)
It'l take some time to get results but if you are interested i'll drop some posts later.
The "Red Eye" to serial (which could be via USB) part has already been done on an Arduino by Martin Hepperle. It uses a HP C4103A infrared transceiver originally made to serve as an IrDA interface for HP LaserJet printers (back in the days when IrDA printing from a laptop was a thing), and these units can still be found on eBay. Details can be found via Martin's HP page: http://www.mh-aerotools.de/hp/.
MeinKuipers

Post by MeinKuipers »

ijabbott wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:55 pm
coolepascal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:41 pm
The "Red Eye" to serial (which could be via USB) part has already been done on an Arduino by Martin Hepperle. It uses a HP C4103A infrared transceiver originally made to serve as an IrDA interface for HP LaserJet printers (back in the days when IrDA printing from a laptop was a thing), and these units can still be found on eBay. Details can be found via Martin's HP page: http://www.mh-aerotools.de/hp/.
I can confirm that this works really nice, did some extensive testing and more to come. Also look at the link here (not mine): https://hackaday.io/project/25616-hp-82 ... escription
Regards from NL,
Meindert Kuipers DM41X #48
coolepascal

Post by coolepascal »

Thanks for the links, solves half of my challenge.
I'll give it a schot and than try thge same on an FPGA.

Target: I want to use the calculator to calculate firtaps that i directly can feed into a FIR-bandpass-filter.

Usecase: none other than keep me off the street :lol:
elfrinjo

Post by elfrinjo »

ijabbott wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:55 pm
... It uses a HP C4103A infrared transceiver originally made to serve as an IrDA interface for HP LaserJet printers (back in the days when IrDA printing from a laptop was a thing), and these units can still be found on eBay...
Oh I remember... we used to throw away bucketloads of them because no one had any use for them - today they sell for 30 €