Questions from a new dm15L owner

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
AlanW

Questions from a new dm15L owner

Post by AlanW »

Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying my new dm15L for just over a week, it having arrived in the UK 4 working days from order. This was my first purchase from swiss micros and I am pleased to say the unit was built to a very high standard and works perfectly. I particularly like the support for complex numbers which as a design engineer I use frequently. The matrix maths is also a great feature, although a bit fiddly to use, so most useful when programming.

Why the dm15c? Before last week I tended to use Windows calculator for any quick sums and MATLAB for anything more substantial. Using windows calculator is error prone due to a lack of haptic feedback (no key clicks) and often required a second attempt to get a believable result. A new physical calculator was needed. Unfortunately the scientific calculator market had split into simple machines for secondary school use and much more expensive graphing calculators for graduate students, neither of which was what I needed.

When I was a teenager, my data brought an Hp-65 home from work to show me (I was fast becoming a keen electronics hobbyist). The card library included programs for a range of engineering calculations. Programming simple tasks was quick. Want I wanted was something similar, but more modern. Eventually having searched the internet, including looking at the hpmuseum website I came across swiss micros. The dm15L looked ideal.

It's still looking like a great choice a week on. I'm thinking of programming some digital filter design programs and some aeronautical calculations (Altitude, CAS, TAS, Mach conversions). There are existing filter design programs for the hp-41CV, although no documentation so difficult to convert. It would probably be better to start from scratch. It would be a good leaning exercise as well.

Some of the other swiss micros calculators also look interesting. The dm42 has the advanced functions that the dm15L has, but also has alphanumeric capability. The DM42 page on the website indicates that it is out of stock, although it does appear on the order page. Anyone know what the situation is? I also saw posts on the forthcoming dm41X in the dm42 discussion boards. Interesting from a historical perspective, but is the dm42 a better choice for actual use? The dm42 is more on my wish list than an actual need as the dm15L is doing an excellent job.

Alan
Walter

Re: Questions from a new dm15L owner

Post by Walter »

Welcome, Alan!

The DM15L is certainly a nice tool, better than HP's 15C LE for sure. Enjoy!

Since you asked: the DM42 corresponds to the DM15L like HP-42S to HP-15C; see hpmuseum.org for a comparison of the latter two. IMO it's a better choice than the DM41X since the latter is a clone of the HP-41CX. The calculator comparison page mentioned is your friend again. If you want something more modern than the DM42 (which is a clone of the HP-42S plus some extras) you may become interested in the WP43S discussed in this very forum, too.

Happy reading and calculating!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

What's important is that you don't take a 43S.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

@Walter Thanks for pointing me at the comparison tool. Comparing the Hp-15c, Hp-41CX and Hp-42S confirms that the dm42 is on my wish list.
@akaTB I assume there is some friendly rivalry regarding the merits of the different calculators. Hopefully everyone finds the one that meets their needs :)

Thanks for the comments.
Alan
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

AlanW wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:27 pm
@akaTB I assume there is some friendly rivalry regarding the merits of the different calculators. Hopefully everyone finds the one that meets their needs :)
Of course, yes.
However that comparison list is for the standard HP calculators.
Both DM42 and DM41X offer significant functionality over them.

Why not get both?
And a 43 too. ;)
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
Walter

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:42 pm
... that comparison list is for the standard HP calculators.

Why not get both?
And a 43 too. ;)
... lead us not into temptation ... !

Beware, do not listen to that calcuholic!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm
akaTB wrote:
... that comparison list is for the standard HP calculators.

Why not get both?
And a 43 too. ;)
... lead us not into temptation ... !

Beware, do not listen to that calcuholic!
Hic! :mrgreen:

How could you really compare them, otherwise?
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
tuxfish

Post by tuxfish »

Hi,

Calculators in Software:

1. HP-15c simulator of Torsten Manz (Win,MacOS,Linux,NetBSD,FreeBSD)
2. WP-34s
3. HP-32E emulator of Panamatik (HP-01 and other Woodstock/Classic
emulators of his are nifty as well)
4. New kid on the block since Allschwil'18: Virtual HP-41 Release 9 (HP-IL built-in!)

Screenshot HP-15c simulator:

BTW: All of these calculators in software above work excellently
"out of the box" under Wine (Linux or Intel MacOS).

How does this fit together with the topic of the tread ?

The HP-15c simulator allows to beam programmes via usb cable into a DM15L.
This might sound a bit weird at first, but is extremly difficult to beat
concerning convenient developing or debugging :-)

A DM15L is a powerful, reliable, sturdy & wonderful tool that fits in your shirt pocket easily.
Since it seems to work for your calculations, why not use it further ?

The DM42 is fantastic in its own right, the clever DM41X still beta
and the WP43S is highly promising but has not surfaced yet
(pilot run announced recently).
Last edited by tuxfish on Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FX-602P, HP-12c, 17B, 32E, 38C, 39gs, 35, 41C/CV, 48 SX/G, 50g, DM 1xL, 42β , WP43β…
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

tuxfish wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:20 am
Calculators in Software:

1. HP-15c simulator of Torsten Manz (Win,MacOS,Linux,NetBSD,FreeBSD)
2. WP-34s
3. HP-32E emulator of Panamatik (HP-01 and other Woodstock/Classic
emulators of his are nifty as well)
4. New kid on the block since Allschwil'18: Virtual HP-41 Release 9 (HP-IL built-in!)
Thanks for the list of simulators. I have Torsten's Hp15c simulator and have the download/upload from the dm15L working.
I've been working on the aeronautical conversions I mentioned in the first post and agree it is easier to work it out using the PC and then download it.
So plenty to do with the dm15L before considering the dm42. :)
coolepascal

Post by coolepascal »

akaTB wrote:
Why not get both?
And a 43 too. ;)
So i bought both a DM42 and a DM15L.
While i like the DM15L more on my desk for quick calculations, i'm not to enthousiastic about programming on it.
The DM42 is way more comfy if you do more complex calculations or programming (both thanks to the large display and clear text rather than codes)

Both machines are way overkill for my needs but i realy like them