Who uses the 43S simulator under Windows, Linux, or on a Mac?

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
jedu

Re: Who uses the 43S simulator under Windows, Linux, or on a Mac?

Post by jedu »

Walter wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 am
jedu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am
Over_score wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Is implemented :D
Hi, I didn't find it in the simulator... and another question... why do you name Nm... This is a Joule (J). isn't it?
Thanks for asking. Answers:
  1. My fault - I've to build an updated wp43s.exe. Will be done soon. :oops:
  2. Physics! Torques are cross products while energies are scalar (i.e. dot) products. 8-)
Well, for example in ballistics they use the (muzzle) Energy as the input for calculating the trajectory... It's torque, but it can also be energy... In fact, in every ballistic calculator book or app, these are the units used: lb.ft (imperial) or J (International)

In any case, it's not critical... but most of the guys I know would search Jules for energy, not N.m, at least in it's first iteration...

Best regards

Eduardo
Walter

Post by Walter »

jedu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm
Walter wrote:
jedu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am

Hi, I didn't find it in the simulator... and another question... why do you name Nm... This is a Joule (J). isn't it?
  2. Physics! Torques are cross products while energies are scalar (i.e. dot) products. 8-)
Well, for example in ballistics they use the (muzzle) Energy as the input for calculating the trajectory... It's torque, but it can also be energy... In fact, in every ballistic calculator book or app, these are the units used: lb.ft (imperial) or J (International)

In any case, it's not critical... but most of the guys I know would search Jules for energy, not N.m, at least in it's first iteration...
You're right in principle but there are different physical quantities measured in Newton-meters and Joules. Energies are measured in Joules, no doubt. And torques are measured in Newton-meters unambiguously. Although it would be correct dimension-wise, never talk about torques measured in Joules - it would just show you don't understand physics. Energies in J are just (scalar) numbers resulting from the dot product of the force vector times the way vector. Torques in Nm, OTOH, are vectors pointing in a direction perpendicular to both the force vector and the vector of its lever arm. Feel free to check your favourite physics textbook. Recommended.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
chr yoko

Post by chr yoko »

Nm is used for torque in the industry
go to a garage and the guys in blue clothes are using torque wrenches every days
go to a factory and all tools are set with a torque and sometime angle to when the bolt needs to be plastified for higher stability in tight torque tolerances
in the US they still use lbft
those are usefull units, nobody is using Joules 😁

also we use bars and psi for air and fluids

a calculator is supposed to be a tool like a wrench

to be honest modern torque wrenches and pressure pumps are now digital and can be set into several units ,
some are even wifi and connected and can cost more than a new car
DM41L SN01063 - DM42 SN05658 - DM15L SN20438 - DM41X SN00173 - DM16L SN04449
jedu

Post by jedu »

Walter wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:34 pm
jedu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm
Walter wrote:

You're right in principle but there are different physical quantities measured in Newton-meters and Joules. Energies are measured in Joules, no doubt. And torques are measured in Newton-meters unambiguously. Although it would be correct dimension-wise, never talk about torques measured in Joules - it would just show you don't understand physics. Energies in J are just (scalar) numbers resulting from the dot product of the force vector times the way vector. Torques in Nm, OTOH, are vectors pointing in a direction perpendicular to both the force vector and the vector of its lever arm. Feel free to check your favourite physics textbook. Recommended.
Hi

I did read quite about physics while doing my industrial engineering studies... I would say that I am fully aware of these (vectors, torque...) concepts :D ...

I am not a native English speaker, so perhaps this is the problem. I had the impression that foot.pound despite the fact that it seems to be a torque unit is indeed an Energy unit in the imperial system...

I have just searched in Google for British Imperial units for energy and I have found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_energy

And there it's stated that:

British imperial / US customary units
The British imperial units and U.S. customary units for both energy and work include the foot-pound force (1.3558 J), the British thermal unit (BTU) which has various values in the region of 1055 J, the horsepower-hour (2.6845 MJ), and the gasoline gallon equivalent (about 120 MJ).

This is somewhat coherent with my understanding. I may be right, I don't know... Anyway, for me it's not a critical feature or question... I write this message just to justify my request, I don't want to spend more time on the topic and convert this in a religious war (and less when part of the problem is the language :D )

Anyway thank you for time and effort!

Best regards

Eduardo
Walter

Post by Walter »

No problem with foot-pounds etc. - I simply don't care about inconsistencies of units beyond SI (they allow for some barbed remarks here or elsewhere :mrgreen: ).
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041