Deleting the .END. (maybe)

Discussion around the Swiss Micros DM42 calculator.
overbarg

Deleting the .END. (maybe)

Post by overbarg » Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 am

Sorry, this might be more of an HP42 question - but I'm doing in on my fantabulous DM42, so here goes.

If I write a program at the end of the program memory (GTO ..) and label it, it shows up in the XEQ list which is fine and exactly what I would expect. If I then delete the program (CLP), it deletes all the stuff from the LBL to the .END., but now the .END. shows up in the XEQ list.

Is there some way to remove that .END. (I realize that it is the "final" end marker, but it doesn't always exist (for instance, it doesn't show up if you never do a GTO .. command)).

I've scoured the manuals, but I can't seem to find out if it is possible. I have removed it by clearing all program memory, but that's not quite what I want...

Thanks!!

grsbanks

Re: Deleting the .END. (maybe)

Post by grsbanks » Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 am

You have to delete the "END" (note the absence of periods either side of it) instruction from the previous program in memory.
Not SwissMicros staff, just an enthusiast.

Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am

overbarg wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 am
Is there some way to remove that .END. (I realize that it is the "final" end marker, but it doesn't always exist (for instance, it doesn't show up if you never do a GTO .. command)).
In addition to what grsbanks said, I would like to point out that the .END. does, in fact, always exist. It's the only instruction in program memory that is created at Memory Clear, and it's the only instruction that cannot be deleted. Even if you never do a GTO .. command, it's there.

It may not always show up in the PGM catalog, but that's just like with the regular END instructions: they are only shown in the PGM catalog if the program they terminate contains no global labels.

rprosperi

Post by rprosperi » Fri May 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am
It may not always show up in the PGM catalog, but that's just like with the regular END instructions: they are only shown in the PGM catalog if the program they terminate contains no global labels.
Explaining a tiny bit further - The reason it must be there in the catalog is to give you a means to get to that program context (always the last program w/o a global label or an END), which you otherwise could not access.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071, DM10L: 071/100