HP 82240B Infra Red Portable Printer ?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
jonmoore

Re: HP 82240B Infra Red Portable Printer ?

Post by jonmoore »

Walter wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 pm
jonmoore wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:14 pm
... (being something of a treehugger the BPA bit is important to me). ...
Eeeek, seems we have robots posting here, being something ... :shock:
Grammar and word association getting the better of me, that phrase should have read 'being a somewhat treehugger type'.

Next time I'm looking for pedantic side swipes of my social media commentary I'll know where to ask...
Walter

Post by Walter »

Pffft - thanks for relieving my shock. :) But how could I know what the matter was as long as I could only read what you wrote? :?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

It’s obvious, read what is not there, then form an opinion, in other words be a politician :shock:

:D

Home safe and sound...

Geoff
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 am
It’s obvious, read what is not there, then form an opinion, in other words be a politician :shock:

Home safe and sound...

Geoff
For f... sake. I was attempting to be graceful in my annoyance at Walter's pedantry, The phrase "being something of a" is very common in the English language, as can be seen via these Google search returns.

https://d.pr/kF8UvY

In one of my first posts on this forum I get a dressing down from Walter for using colloquial terms in my posts and he's shadowed me since with side swipes at various points. Worse than that, in a thread where I was posting regarding the relative performance of DM41X with the HP-30b he used the opportunity to brag about the WP43s when I'd already mentioned said hardware/software combination would be far faster as it isn't running an emulation layer.

Is there any wonder that much as I've been an owner of HP hardware for 30+ years I made the decision to not partake on the hpmuseum.org forum (a place where I understand Walter has been censured in the past).

Make no mistake, if anybody attempts snide bullying of me on this forum, I will respond.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

For those who are interested and those that haven't owned a HP thermal printer the following picture shows the quality of the print on Eposgear premium thermal paper. Also, the print on the right shows what happens if you set the "Printer Line Delay" too low. This is detailed in the printer documentation but it's good to easily identify the symptoms. I set the Printer Line Delay to 0.5s for the printout on the right and 1.0s for the printout on the left. The 1.0s setting is almost half the recommended setting of 1.8s, but that's only possible when the 82240B is powered by a mains power supply. When using the unit with batteries alone, printouts are far slower, but you do gain in terms of portability.

Walter

Post by Walter »

Glad to read you're back in Vancóuver, Geoff.
Geoff Quickfall wrote:
:shock: No, no, I don't want becoming a politician, neither in this nor in next life! :lol:
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

jonmoore wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:57 am
Geoff Quickfall wrote:

Home safe and sound...

Geoff
For f... sake. I was attempting to be graceful in my annoyance at Walter's pedantry, The phrase "being something of a" is very common in the English language, as can be seen via these Google search returns...
For those of you who know me and for future elucidation this was not a swipe!

If anything, it was directed at Walter :o as to his absolutely perfect command of the English language :!: (and I mean, perfect command). In some cases colloquialisms do not translate and the nuances of the English language or any language may be missed.

One must know Walters unique humour and to have a pint of beer with him is something to look forward too. Next beers are on me when the COVID runs its natural course.

I have always stated that English is my second language; I have no first language as I am always learning. Walter is a good teacher :D

My statement was an oblique way to inform Walter as too the phrase “read between the lines”. That is, read the meaning which may or may not be intuitive for some. I couched that in a politician swipe. Sorry to any engineers or scientists on this forum that are also mayors or etc..

I will never forget my first “swipe” from Walter :o I had a good chuckle and did not take offence to it. I mentioned that I had my father over for dinner. Normally everyone would understand that I did not eat my father but Walter did ask “how did he taste”? I should have stated that I invited my father to partake in dinner with me and, that he would not be the main course, with my mother as the appetizer. I took it as a humorous poke, and did not take offence.

If I want anything edited prior to print I will send it to Walter :!: That is a promise Walter.

Now onto your printer paper posting, very informative and thanks for the pictures.

My use of the infrared printer is extensive due to its portability. I have noticed on all three printers, both HPIL and infrared that it will always print the first 4 lines very quickly then each successive line print is broken by a pause . This must have something to do with the buffer.

Does anyone one know if the slow print rate is buffer related?

Geoff
Last edited by Geoff Quickfall on Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Geoff
Well, I know it, but can't prove it. 8-)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Geoff Quickfall

Excellent reply! Thanks Bob!
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Now onto your printer paper posting, very informative and thanks for the pictures.

My use of the infrared printer is extensive due to its portability. I have noticed on all three printers, both HPIL and infrared that it will always print the first 4 lines very quickly then each successive line print is broken by a pause . This must have something to do with the buffer.

Geoff
Thanks for the kind words and apologies for any collateral damage! ;)

With regard to the print speed, you really need a power supply as it pretty much doubles the print speed, and there's no buffer delays so the time savings are far greater the the initial double print speed.

The important thing is to set the 'Printer Line Delay' in the global system settings to 1.0s, as this is approximately the time it takes for a line of print and carriage return. However as soon as you go back to battery power, you'll need to set this back to 1.8s, otherwise the printing will be screwed up like in the print example on the right of my recent post.

Check the power supply specification in printer documentation available at hp41.org, you needn't hunt down a genuine HP power supply, a suitable generic candidate can be purchased for $10-15.

One other great benefit of the power supply is that the printer no longer goes to sleep, so it's always ready to print, unless you specifically power it down that is.