WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

Jaymos wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:30 pm
I have some more positive criticism. I haven't given up. ...
Yes, Jaco. Thanks for your efforts. Though sometimes we do something in our project even without posting it here or publishing it on Gitlab. E.g. the thick frames around f and g are in already. And believe it or not, the horizontal stroke above x was not inserted manually (FYI, there are accents and similar elements in fonts you can combine with letters - just look into your favourite unicode table; and rest assured I don't use the font tool you think I use).

I don't get it why you quoted my scream of joy about Michael's zero-tolerance production - do you want to apply for the audit?

Answers to your numbered issues:
  1. I don't.
  2. Sorry, I prefer our current version.
  3. Same as 2. I like your word "thinckened" though.
  4. We will check this. Actually these open arrows are just meant to be reminders (but they won't work if the user can't see them, of course).
  5. Same as 2.
  6. Please see above. You listed the reasons properly.
I stop here - the weather isn't nice ...
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Walter

Post by Walter »

Unless there will be disruptive innovations or ideas, this will be the layout to be made:
Top_a.png
Top_a.png (75.79 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
The gap between the coloured frames and the prefix keys is just the clearance between the bezel and the keys.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

I renew my plea to adjust the Alpha characters on the 5th line to the order NOPQ:.

If any readers agree, PLEASE post a comment of support.

Otherwise, I predict there will be much discussion and critique about this after release, at which point it likely won't matter much... Ultimately I think Walter is right, that if readers aren't willing to comment now to lobby for what they want, then they will likely have to adjust to what they get.

Does anyone think this topic is worthy of promoting to a separate thread, for better visibility?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:32 pm
I renew my plea to adjust the Alpha characters on the 5th line to the order NOPQ:.

Otherwise, I predict there will be much discussion and critique about this after release, at which point it likely won't matter much... Ultimately I think Walter is right, that if readers aren't willing to comment now to lobby for what they want, then they will likely have to adjust to what they get.

Does anyone think this topic is worthy of promoting to a separate thread, for better visibility?
I support your plea. Shift either nothing out of line, or shift the whole block N-Y, not only N-Q.
J
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:

FWIW I think you're right, and if the older operators order was retained : could stay on the divide key (mnemonically valid). But I know that all this is moot, since Walter is proud of his Q on XEQ, as if it was 'Qute...

I lost faith and interest in the key positioning long ago. So yes: let 'em do it, the way they like. Too many years waiting for the advent, beaten only by THE BOOK by another friend of us ;)
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
H2X

Post by H2X »

rprosperi wrote:

Although I have committed to buying an early WP43S, I am firmly rooted in the WP43C camp. This should be no surprise to anybody, nor that the keyboard which agrees best with my brain is the WP43C, and the WP43S is going to have to grow on me.

Which it might.

I will however contribute this: The named reasons for shifting this row, i.e. the similarities between "/" and ":", and "Q" and "XEQ", are lost on me. When I look on the keyboard with my "alpha glasses" on, my eyes are blind to the other "layers", and my brain only wants consistency within the layer my eyes are seeing.

Just saying, just my 2 cents, FWIW, mileages vary, and I will still buy the WP43S when it ships.
Last edited by H2X on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Walter

Post by Walter »

Come on, folks. What's relevant in alpha input mode is shown here:
Top_ac.png
Top_ac.png (38.66 KiB) Viewed 4897 times
Now, what do you want to move where to?

(As mentioned before, keyboards featuring letters in alphabetic order are an acquired taste for people used to QWERTZ, at least for me. So I'm thankful for some hints like D with decimal and dekadic log, E with e^x, J with complex, S with statistics, T with transforms, U with units, X with X.FN, and also Q with XEQ.)
Last edited by Walter on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcscote

Post by pcscote »

Walter wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 pm
Now, what do you want to move where to?
Walter,
My understanding is that Robert is proposing to change the line where you find ": N O P Q" to "N O P Q :"
Moving the colon character from the left side to the right side and I agree that it make more sense, at least to me.
Sylvain
[DM1x/DM1xL/DM41/DM41L/DM41X/DM42]
Walter

Post by Walter »

... ⎙ with PRINT, : with /, [,] with [.].
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 pm
(As mentioned before, keyboards featuring letters in alphabetic order are an acquired taste for people used to QWERTZ, at least for me. So I'm thankful for some hints like D with decimal and dekadic log, E with e^x, J with complex, S with statistics, T with transforms, U with units, X with X.FN, and also Q with XEQ.)
Most of people here are used to QWERTY rather than QWERTZ...

All personal preferences, as stated before.
Walter wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 pm
... ⎙ with PRINT, : with /, [,] with [.].
If only the divide key was in the lower left corner, where it belongs... :?
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold