WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Dani R.

Re: 43S News

Post by Dani R. »

Agreed, with Undo maybe you can restore something. But I didn't mean "CC", but "<-", ("CLX"). That bothers me the most.
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Dani R. wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:22 pm
Agreed, with Undo maybe you can restore something. But I didn't mean "CC", but "<-", ("CLX"). That bothers me the most.
I misread. You correctly wrote <-

I agree. <- is often used, and would be nice to be able to abort.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Just FYI, going back to the origin of the “Function NULL” on the 41C, the HP 41C manual in the first section “HP-41C Fundamentals” states:
Preview and Null
Function Preview. When an HP-41 C function key is pressed, the name of the function to be executed appears briefly in the display; when the key is released, that function is executed. This preview is particularly helpful in User mode, when the function executed by a key may not be the one indicated on the keyboard.
Function Null. If a function key is held down for longer than about a half-second, the function is nulled; that is, the function is not executed and the word NULL appears in the display. The [Shift] key can be nulled by pressing it again; this turns off the SHIFT annunciator.
So Function Null is directly linked to the Function preview introduced on the 41C to be able to check the functions assigned to keys without executing them. Only functions as listed in the Function Index can be nulled.

Keys related to number entry: 0-9 digits, dot, EEX, CHS or <- during number entry cannot be nulled by holding them down. During number entry 0-9 digits, dot and EEX can be nulled with <-, CHS by pressing it again (same as shift), and <- by pressing again the previous key (digit, dot or EEX) .
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

dlachieze wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:12 pm
Just FYI, going back to the origin of the “Function NULL” on the 41C, the HP 41C manual in the first section “HP-41C Fundamentals” states:
Preview and Null
Function Preview. When an HP-41 C function key is pressed, the name of the function to be executed appears briefly in the display; when the key is released, that function is executed. This preview is particularly helpful in User mode, when the function executed by a key may not be the one indicated on the keyboard.
Function Null. If a function key is held down for longer than about a half-second, the function is nulled; that is, the function is not executed and the word NULL appears in the display. The [Shift] key can be nulled by pressing it again; this turns off the SHIFT annunciator.
So Function Null is directly linked to the Function preview introduced on the 41C to be able to check the functions assigned to keys without executing them. Only functions as listed in the Function Index can be nulled.

Keys related to number entry: 0-9 digits, dot, EEX, CHS or <- during number entry cannot be nulled by holding them down. During number entry 0-9 digits, dot and EEX can be nulled with <-, CHS by pressing it again (same as shift), and <- by pressing again the previous key (digit, dot or EEX) .
Everything correct "during number entry ". The HP-41C and HP-42S also allow ENTER to be nulled during number entry. Whether it makes sense or not. The effect, however, is during number entry, you lose Z and T by pressing 'ENTER'. Y goes to T and X goes to Z, the new number is in X and Y. But if ENTER would during number entry be nulled , then you only lose T. Z goes to T, Y goes to Z, X goes to Y and the new aborted number is in X. But even this is not the main problem of the WP43S behaviour.

"Function preview" is the magic word. The WP43S is closer to the HP-41C, because you can assign a different function on almost every key. When the number entry is finished, you can have on both, the HP-41C and HP-42S 'ENTER' and 'CLX' be nulled. You may have assigned another function and only notice that the USER mode is not activated when you press 'ENTER' or 'CLX'. Difficult to overlook, but still possible.
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

How do I..... ?

I was playing around with the WP43S and it was fun. I had printed a primitive overlay which worked pretty well, - until I also loaded keymap.bin onto the DM42. Now I'm stuck with this key map that of course doesn't match the DM42 when I try to go back. I've installed again DMCP_flash_3.15.bin, even DM42_qspi_3.x.bin, but nothing helps. Now how do I get back the right key mapping for my DM42? Is there an appropriate keymap.bin available?

Günter

While temporarily trying out the WP43S the specific key map is not really necessary for the calculator operations. As far as I've seen you only need the DM42 exit/on key to start the W"P43S, and when you goto the DMCP menu, you have to use the DM42 keys. But that's ok, while playing around.
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
Over_score

Post by Over_score »

Hallo Günter,

download following file: http://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/devel/k ... ils.tar.gz
More informations on this page: http://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/devel/d ... el_manual/
Unpack that file and take keymap_utils/keymaps/empty/keymap.bin and copy it to the root of the DM42 FAT file system
Reset the calc and you should retrieve the original keyboard layout.

Mit freundlichem gruß

Martin
DM42 SN00284 & SN03835 running C47, HP34C, HP41CV, HP42S, HP35s, WP34S, HP Prime
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

Over_score wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:40 pm
Hallo Günter,

download following file: http://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/devel/k ... ils.tar.gz
More informations on this page: http://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/devel/d ... el_manual/
Unpack that file and take keymap_utils/keymaps/empty/keymap.bin and copy it to the root of the DM42 FAT file system
Reset the calc and you should retrieve the original keyboard layout.

Mit freundlichem gruß

Martin
Hi Martin,

that was fast. I did as you suggested and it works, great. Although at first really did a "RESET" (hole on the back) as this didn't change anything I went through the normal update procedure, that worked as expected. Now I have two key map files keymap-wp43s.bin and keymap-dm42.bin.

Perhaps you could make the original key map file available somewhere on the SwissMicros repository. It's perhaps not so easy for everybody to extract tar.gz archives on a Windows system.

Jedenfalls ganz vielen Dank.

Günter

Additional remark for Walter: If you read about my problem, I'd suggest that you include the keymap.bin from above on your project page under a different name where you describe how to load wps43s.pgm and keymap.bin. And then how to get back to normal DM42 operation.
Installation instructions:
Copy the keymap.bin file to the DM42 flash disk over USB. This is meant to relocate keys to match the WP43S layout.
Copy the WP43S.pgm file to the DM42 flash disk over USB.
Flash the WP43S.pgm file just like SDKdemo.pgm (https://github.com/swissmicros/SDKdemo)
From free42: select [shift][SETUP][5][2][4][3] WP43S.pgm [ENTER][ENTER] wait [EXIT][EXIT]
The keyboard layout is also that of WP43S when navigating in the system part of the DM42 (thanks to the keymap.bin file)
The Key_stickers.xcf and WP43S_overlay.xcf are GIMP image files to make your life easier!
To leave the WP43S program: in the menu [g][MODE][up] select [g][SYSTEM] ([g][F1]) to return to the DMCP system.
Edit: at first I had directed my answer to David, sorry Martin ;)
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
Over_score

Post by Over_score »

Guenter wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:50 pm
Perhaps you could make the original key map file available somewhere on the SwissMicros repository. It's perhaps not so easy for everybody to extract tar.gz archives on a Windows system.
I added the origial keymap.bin file and a comment here: https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/tre ... 2%20binary
DM42 SN00284 & SN03835 running C47, HP34C, HP41CV, HP42S, HP35s, WP34S, HP Prime
Walter

Post by Walter »

Now FLOOR, CEIL, IDIV, RMD, and MOD are implemented. So INTS is being populated. All look quite well AFAI have tested. :D
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Walter

Post by Walter »

Looking forward to a little (not only) 43S meeting we'll have tomorrow with people from Australia, France, Germany, and the Netherlands. :D

A subset of the participants are all the folks currently working for the 43S - first time to see each other face to face in this virtual era. :D
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041