Jaymos wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:56 pm
Dani R. wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:45 am
f(SAVE), g(CPX) to "7".
f(EQN), g(FIN) to "8".
f(MATX), g(X.FIN) to "9", still fine.
f(STAT), g(SUMS) to "/", still OK.
f(ALPHA), g(ALPA.FN) at "4", have no better place than to replace Sigma+ with ALPHA.....
f(CONV), g(CNST) to "5".
f(BITS), g(INTS) to "6".
f(PROB), g(PARTS) to "*".
f(ASN), g(REGS) to "1".
f(USER), g(STATUS) to "2", I still think we should rename STATUS.
f(TIMER), g(CLK) to "3", still fine.
f(x!), g(ADV) to "-".
f(LOOP), g(TEST) to "0", still OK.
f(FLAGS), g(INFO) to ".". I think it should be possible to change the position of FLAGS.
f(PRGM, g(P.FN) to "R/S", still fine.
f(CAT), g(I/O) to "+", still OK.
So I haven't found a place for HOME, should this go to the Simga+ key position? I have to read the purpose of HOME again. Without simulation I didn't see it immediately.
The following attempts to show the changes and a bit of the rationale in either going with the change or not.
I used your proposals to arrange my paper cutting keyboard, and I arranged it your way, considered each one and either moved it back (to my last one) or changed it.
I must say, I liked some of your thinking, and that made made me think of even further changes moves.
Looking at 0, [.] and R/S:
I want these to be programming related.
- I carefully looked at the content of FLAGS, and it does belong with programming. But instead of moving FLAGS, I rather change the programming group to extend upwards from PRGM. So FLAGS stays as per 42S.
- LOOP & TEST must stay close to PRGM, therefore stays on [.].
- BITS can move next to FLAGS. I want BITS here as it really belongs with programming.
- I like your point to take TIMER & CLK (admin) away from the operators. It makes sense. In fact I will take it further away from PRGM functions, to .
- INFO is not important to be here, so I take it out.
Looking at 1,2,3,[-]:
- I prefer to have the viewing related things closer to ENTER (i.e. on 7 & 8), so therefore I do not want REGS and STATUS on 1 & 2.
- At the same time I feel that SAVE belongs by ASN and USER, so I keep my last arrangement.
- I want ADV by PROB from a functional point of view, and PROB is fixed, therefore ADV goes to [g][x].
- EQN also really belongs by PROB/ADV, so I take it to [g][-].
- FIN is looking for a proper home by advanced functions, so [f][-] works well.
- So what is happening here is the operator are is becoming the advanced mat area: STAT/SUMS & PROB / ADV & FIN / EQN. I like this.
Looking at 4, 5, 6, x:
- A is not going to Sigma+
- I must have DRG> on 5. In fact, it’s functionally it exactly is what CONV was on 42S.
- To make the vertical programming arrangement, PARTS & INTS on  to be close to PRGM.
Looking at: 7,8,9, /:
- Since TRI is gone and available, and DRG> went down to , I move your CPX back to [g][SIN].
- So, 7 & 8 is open again ()all your labels moved away), so I restore it the way I had it SHOW/VIEW/REGS/STATUS.
Filling in the unfilled openings now,
- I place x! On [g][CHS] with all the math functions.
- I place CNST at [g][EEX]
And all that is left is [g] which can be used for INFO or for HOME.
- If HOME is used, INFO can be right there on a shift on the function keys.
- If INFO is used, HOME can only be called by triple tapping the shift key/.
To recap the idea of HOME, is to have an easy access use for the FN keys, for ease of use.
- To have an easy way to place the basic math menus directly in the math area on the FN keys.
- To have a way to easily access INFO, which was sacrificed to get the HOME button.
- To add some handy math primaries if you use the calc without menus.
HOME is still accessible by triple shift. So, INFO can still go back to the keyboard instead. I am not fully decided.
Either way, HOME is now directly next to the shift button. Either double shift , or triple shift brings it up.
The latest changes after the enlighment from dani.
The grouping visible, as well as the amount of HP42S alignment achieved.