How did you discover SwissMicros?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
peteb2

Re: How did you discover SwissMicros?

Post by peteb2 »

I did an Internet Search (pre-Google days) to see if i could buy a replacement for my perfect condition HP15C that mysteriously had disappeared. That's when i discovered how valued and 'valuable' they were compared to other calculators. It made me search and search but to no avail, my HP had shifted into the 4th Dimension along with the things it allowed me to do quickly.

I could never justify the outlay for a second hand unit via the fledgling ebay market so resigned myself to using a 'normal' calculator.

Then one day a (post-Google) search revealed SwissMicros existed! What a neat idea i remember thinking but there wasn't an HP15C at the time so i vowed to keep an eye out for a cheap HP if was could only be so lucky.

Then one day i was able to borrow an HP42S and oh my.... what a tool! In the same month i was told of the App for my Apple device for the HP15C (which only served to remind me of what i'd lost every time i ran it) and i also knew of the HP15C limited edition but the price just couldn't be passed the goal-keeper.

Finally in the weeks before Christmas 2018 the 'down-under electronics guru' Dave Jones did his You Tube on the SwissMicros DM42.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ong91Ji3iDk&t=0s

That sold it and blow the price... i was so excited when ordering it that i screwed up the delivery address with a typo on the mail box address. I was too slow to have it corrected but by way of some careful 'address checking' in my country i was able to make certain my parcel was eventually redirected to me and i became a proud owner of a DM42 from SwissMicros.

So with a few hours of familiarization i think i have found the best calculator in the world and at last a proper tool is back in my hands.
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

I think I heard about them on hpmuseum.org back when the original "credit card" models were being released. I didn't have any practical need for those ones, but thought they were cool. The eventual "L" models made a more compelling argument, and I bought a 41L and 16L a few years ago. Then I got the 42 right when they were released at the end of 2017, and I use it daily, both for "normal" things, as well as recording some simple numeric medical data that I have to track throughout the day. At some point, I might buy a second one, either to have another one handy when I need it, or "just in case". I'm sure there are plenty of HP 42S owners that look back and wish they had bought one or two spares when they were still in stores. :)
john c

Post by john c »

I heard about your company via a post about the DM42 on the hpmuseum.org website. About 15 months ago.
I plan on buying a DM42 soon. Plus a WP43S when available. Thanks for your work on your products.
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

Nostalgia of my HP42s and web searching brought me to HP museum and SwissMicros links I guess, then some videos on Youtube, comments everywhere I could find them, good and bad though.

I made my opinion and after quite a month evaluating pros and cons, I jumped for a DM42.
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
hsilop

Post by hsilop »

I only "discovered" them a few months back. While reading the Wikipedia page on the HP Voyager Series I stumbled across a section about clones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewlett-P ... ies#Clones

Immediately curious I visited the URL only to uncover the DM42. I am now the proud owner of one of these awesome calculators.
Steve

DM32 SN: 00316
DM41X SN: 00854
DM42 SN: 03223

HP11C, HP12C, HP15C, HP16C, HP25, HP32S, HP33C, HP41CV, HP46, HP65
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

My experience in discovering SwissMicros is similar to that of mezoganet. I was looking through the online HP museum and read with much interest that SwissMicros was manufacturing "clones" of several classic/vintage HP calculators. I went to the SwissMicros website and reviewed what was posted there, and then watched a couple of YouTube videos. This took place in late 2017. I went to order a DM42 and had to place my name on an email list to be notified when the next batch of these calculators would be available, as the first batch had already sold out. Once the second batch became available in 2018, I immediately ordered a DM42. I have enjoyed using this ever since I received it.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob O.
DM42, DM15L, WP-34S, HP-42S, HP 35s, HP 33s, HP-32S, HP-32Sii, HP-15C; iOS: Plus42, Free42, WP-34S, HP-15C
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

I wonder how many discovered SwissMicros by mistake on their search for an accurate timepiece, and accidentally bought a DM42 thinking it was such a timepiece, then proceeded to moan about the accuracy of their calculator in keeping time. I wonder.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:57 am
I wonder how many discovered SwissMicros by mistake on their search for an accurate timepiece, and accidentally bought a DM42 thinking it was such a timepiece, then proceeded to moan about the accuracy of their calculator in keeping time. I wonder.
:lol:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

akaTB wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 pm
keithdalby wrote:
1 +.

Should you come to NY keithdalby, I'll buy you a beer.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:45 pm
akaTB wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 pm
keithdalby wrote:
1 +.

Should you come to NY keithdalby, I'll buy you a beer.
1++
Likewise, if you ever turn up in Riga, I'll buy you a beer as well :)
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).