Thermal Paper?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
TwoWeims

Thermal Paper?

Post by TwoWeims »

I just purchased a very nice HP 82240B Printer. It was NOS in the original box the wall wart still had the original twist tie on the cord!
It came with one roll of thermal paper and prints like new.

Do any of you have a good source to purchase compatible thermal paper?

Thanks!
grsbanks

Re: Thermal Paper?

Post by grsbanks »

I got a box of something like 20 rolls on eBay a while ago.

Any thermal paper that's 58mm (2¼") wide should do the trick. The rolls that I bought are just a bit too fat to allow the door on the printer to swing shut when they're new but that's not really a problem. After a bit of use they slim down enough.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

For original HP paper, on eBay, search using "HP calculator thermal paper" and you'll find listings for anywhere from single rolls to several boxes (6 rolls per box).

From experience, as long as the rolls did not get wet over the years, they generally still work fine. HP sold both blue and black print paper, and the black usually provides much clearer and better contrast results, but often you can't tell which type it is, as the seller typically doesn't know.

Also, I don't have exact dimensions available, but Staples does sell thermal paper in numerous sizes; bring your current roll to a Staples (or Office Depot, etc.) and match the width. Sometimes the roll is "too long" and a full roll may not fit in the paper bay, but you can always either transfer some paper to en empty roll (if you're cheap and really patient) or simply throw away the excess.

Finally, it is "normal" for output to fade considerably, even after only a couple months, if the listings are left out and exposed to light. To preserve them, keep them in a file, or book, etc. to preserve the printout.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:19 pm
HP sold both blue and black print paper, and the black usually provides much clearer and better contrast results, but often you can't tell which type it is, as the seller typically doesn't know.
When in doubt, you can always try asking the seller to check. All it takes is to tear off a small scrap from one roll, and hold it near a flame, keeping it far enough away that it doesn't catch fire but close enough to get hot. It will turn black or blue very easily.

And, like Bob recommended, I agree, get the black-printing paper if you can. All thermal printing fades over time, but black is a lot better, both in terms of initial contrast, and in terms of how long it lasts.
Bill (Smithville NJ)

Post by Bill (Smithville NJ) »

rprosperi wrote:
Finally, it is "normal" for output to fade considerably, even after only a couple months, if the listings are left out and exposed to light. To preserve them, keep them in a file, or book, etc. to preserve the printout.
I assume that you are preserving them so that you can look at them in the future. The process of getting them out to look at them will affect them. If you wish to preserve the listing for reference, then I'd suggest cutting them into strips, tape the strips to blank paper and then xerox them or scan them into the computer. I have xeroxed copies of listings that are over thirty years old that are still very readable. Although, I have now scanned those into the computer and created PDF's of them. Makes for great reference. And you don't have to store them in a file or book.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bill (Smithville NJ) wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:04 pm
rprosperi wrote:
... keep them in a file, or book, etc. to preserve the printout.
... I have now scanned those into the computer and created PDF's of them. Makes for great reference. And you don't have to store them in a file or book.
I concur. Though you store them in a file anyway, don't you?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Walter wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:18 pm
I concur. Though you store them in a file anyway, don't you?
You forgot the 8-) ..
--bob p

toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

rprosperi wrote:
I copy them on my printer's copier. The print comes out nice and dark and the copies last indefinitely.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

I started an experiment on 13th March 2018 (I think it was; I can double check on Monday). I printed something, then fastened it to my whiteboard at work where it is exposed to daylight and artificial lights all day long. I wanted to see for how long it was readable. It's still perfectly readable. I'll take a photo on Monday to show you.

(I need it to last two years; the length of a GCSE and an A Level course)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

keithdalby wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:35 am
I started an experiment on 13th March 2018 (I think it was; I can double check on Monday). I printed something, then fastened it to my whiteboard at work where it is exposed to daylight and artificial lights all day long. I wanted to see for how long it was readable. It's still perfectly readable. I'll take a photo on Monday to show you.

(I need it to last two years; the length of a GCSE and an A Level course)
Nice! Thanks for doing this and sharing the results with us.

Is the paper you're using vintage HP paper, or modern paper, typically intended for POS printers?
--bob p