DM41L - Key that do not register

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
Rick

DM41L - Key that do not register

Post by Rick »

Hi!
I've realized yesterday that my brand new DM41L has a key that do not register correctly anymore.
The offending key is the "4" key - pressing it, I have the "click", but the calc doesn't register the key. Keeping pressure for awhile sometimes I do have the key register, but it is quite a rare event.
The behaviour developed quite suddenly - the calculator saw just light usage, it is less than three months old.
I have emailed a support request to SM just after checking that there was no suggestions in the forum - still no answer, but it's less than 24 hours ago.
However, today I looked more thoroughly and I've found a quite large thread on similar matter on the DM42 section.
Looks like the problem of non registering keys is well known there, and I've read of different solutions, up to key domes replacement.
This scares me a little bit, BTW.
Did somebody find similar problems on SM voyager calculators?
In case, how was it solved?
Thank you in advance for your help.
HP-41C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX, HP-48g, HP-50g, HP-11c, HP-15c, WP34S, HP35s, DM41L brand new...
DogNuts

Re: DM41L - Key that do not register

Post by DogNuts »

I have a new DM11L and have the same problem with the 7 and divide keys (there may be more). I get the key click, but the key is not registered. You have to press harder, but it does make the calculator somewhat unreliable if you are not careful. Nonetheless, I do find the DM11L user interface easier to use than the original HP11C, especially when using the calculator on a flat surface. I don't have this type of key issue with my DM42.