Sticky Buttons on Voyager / DM41L

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
Yordan

Sticky Buttons on Voyager / DM41L

Post by Yordan »

Yesterday I have got my DM41L. While the machine is build obviously very good, my fear that I will also face the unglued face-plate issue of course turns true :( But even worse - some keys "stick" to the face plate from behind, and when you press them they first "un-stick" giving a false indication to be pressed. The issue is in reality so severe, that you have constantly lost key-presses which makes the machine unusable.
I did a video to show the issue (it is hidden, just shared here) and how I tried to fix in in a very mild non-invasive way (just insert a piece of paper with key pressed, then release the key and pull the paper out to potentially clean the glued surface).
https://youtu.be/iqV4UN_u2Pc

The issue was localized around the ENTER key - 8 keys. I was very happy after the ENTER key gets almost fixed, and when I finished with the "cleaning", suddenly some keys which were OK before (5,6,2,3) start sticking ;( Absolutely no logical explanation what could be the link AT ALL! Some ideas?

P.S. Obviously the new sticking buttons are not linked with my tries to "free" some out. I left the calculator for 3 hours (noting which are currently sticky) and now some more (6 and 4) are super stuck. Obviously no easy DIY solution :(
Yordan

Re: Sticky Buttons on Voyager / DM41L

Post by Yordan »

The ultimate fix was to replace the faceplate (with the one Michael send to me). Removing the old plate revealed that the glue strips were really very close to the holes (the pattern was shifted to the bottom of the faceplate) which led to sticking of the tips of the buttons to the glue.
Now I can enjoy the nice HP-like feeling of the keyboard :)