DM41 keypad legend separating

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
mezoganet

Re: DM41 keypad legend separating

Post by mezoganet »

keithdalby wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 pm
Looks more like a joke than an attack
Keith,

I can confirm that it was a joke, stupid I agree, but could not resist :roll:

Patrick
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
michel_b

Post by michel_b »

mezoganet wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:41 pm
I can confirm that it was a joke, stupid I agree, but could not resist :roll:
No big deal ;)
Helix

Post by Helix »

I have the same sound with my DM15, but since this is not a tool designed for heavy use, I don't worry for that.
The most important for me is that the keyboard works flawlessly, and it's the case.
WigglePig

Post by WigglePig »

Morning all,

I have used the DM cc-sized units since they first came out. My original DM15 suffers occasionally with the unsticking overlay but I usually find that heating it up and letting it cool whilst clamped in position does the job pretty well. A friend who has a later model also had the same problem and he heated it, removed the overlay and cleaned and reglued it with impact adhesive and he hasn't had a problem since. It's not an easy job though, requiring great care in aligning it all.

Regards

Piggly.
Last edited by WigglePig on Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
reavy

Post by reavy »

I had some success with a new face sticker from SM, but I have mostly learned to ignore the issue, and I use the large size units and the DM42 and 41 almost exclusively now anyway.

Cleaning the contact areas with rubbing alcohol helped to get good adhesion if anyone is still trying to improve this on their own units.
WigglePig

Post by WigglePig »

So, I have had my DM-15 for ages (it's the old type with 32k memory) and I have had difficulties with the keypad membrane coming unstuck and making the stick/unstick noise when in use. Whilst this can usually be corrected, at least for a while, by warming it and pressing the front into place while it is cooling I got to the point where it just wouldn't stay put for more than half an hour.

I decided to take drastic action.

Warming the front up with hot air in the normal way makes it easier to remove the keypad without damage so I did this and then cleaned the whole of the keypad board side with IPA. Then, looking at the back of the membrane you can see why the problem occurs; the gap between the keyclicks/contacts is very narrow so there is little area to stick down, plus the clicks hold the keypad away from the face of the board.

I placed small spots of impact adhesive inbetween the corners of the clicks and let them become tacky, then reapplied the still-sticky keypad membrane to the board, rolled it in place and held it firm while the glue set over lunchtime. Now the keypad seems to be stuck nicely inbetween the keys and it all looks good, so I shall continue using it and see how it goes over the next few days and report back.

Long story short: remove keypad, spots of glue, reassemble, all looks good.
DMaier

Post by DMaier »

Perhaps now would be the time to start the rumor that the delay in restocking the credit card sized models is because the keyboard is being completely redesigned. Of course, this is completely just a thing I made up, but consider my evidence: 1) it is taking a while and 2) the keyboards could definitely be improved.
reavy

Post by reavy »

Maybe this is (part of) the big May announcement we're anticipating!