odd PGM behavior with DM41

Forum for discussion of the DM10, DM11, DM12, DM15, DM16 and DM41 units
Wyatt_Irk

odd PGM behavior with DM41

Post by Wyatt_Irk »

when using the DM41 Programming tool to generate a code dump of a program, i'm able to encode it and upload it to the calculator, but the calculator fails to recognize the program, whether using CAT 1 or GTO the program name. However, I can add a dummy program ahead of the desired program and then the actual one is recognized, but not the "DUMMY" one. all fine and good, except the remnants of the DUMMY program remain in PGM memory with no way to delete it, since CAT 1 doesn't show it, taking up bytes or bits or program memory. Has anyone else experienced this? What other work-arounds have others used?
🤘
DM41X, DM42, HP33c, DM41
in the past: HP34C, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP32S, HP42s
Wyatt_Irk

Re: odd PGM behavior with DM41

Post by Wyatt_Irk »

i found a work-around: i stored the desired program into Extended Memory, then did a memory dump, which showed the "invisible" DUMMY program (invisible to CAT 1). the DUMMY program had two END lines. I deleted those three lines (the LBL "DUMMY" and the two END lines, copied the dump, uploaded it to the DM41. The stray program elements were gone, and the desired program is in extended memory as expected.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior when uploading programs to the DM41? Other than doing this roundabout way of getting rid of the stray bits, I am at a loss.
🤘
DM41X, DM42, HP33c, DM41
Richard Garner

Post by Richard Garner »

Wyatt

Did you PACK the programs on the DM41 before and after reading or writing them to or from it. In the days of old, if you did not PACK a program before you wrote it to the card reader, strang things could hapen. And if you did not PACK the current program in program memory, after reading it in, strang things hapen. Packing a program sets the pointer information for all labels and puts an END statement to section out each program. At the bottom of the program memory section there are two end statements. An END to mark the end of the program and an .END. to indicate the end of program memory and to put the next program between them.

A PACK command can be either XEQ Alpha PACK Alpha or GTO.. in Run Mode after entering each program.
Wyatt_Irk

Post by Wyatt_Irk »

thanks for replying. i always use “GTO ..” after entering a program, but this is different. when i upload a program through the serial cable that is not already in the calculator, it doesn’t recognize the (first) LBL program name. it doesn’t show up in CAT 1. trying to run it results in “NONEXISTENT “. however, i’ve found that after packing, i can hit SST and then access the program. if then i add another label just after the program name label, CAT 1 shows the new label. i’ve tried then deleting the first label but the calculator locks up. my work around is to download a memory dump, add a dummy program before the one i want to use on the calculator, encode to dump, upload it, save the desired program to extended memory. i can then download the memory dump, decode the dump, remove the dummy program, then encode it and upload to the calculator and everything is fine. i can then use GETP to load the program into regular memory. i don’t understand why initially the program label isn’t recognized using either XEQ or CAT 1.
🤘
DM41X, DM42, HP33c, DM41
Richard Garner

Post by Richard Garner »

Sorry my sugestion didn't help. I have used the 41 Updater and Putty to update and transfer files to and from my DM41L but found them tedius to use. After getting my DM41X and was able to transfer all my progams as raw file, I deligated the DM41L to desk work. I am by no means an expert on using the HP41CX, but have found that even the most experianced users forget some of the basics and wonder why things aren't worling right. I have done this myself.
BillBee

Post by BillBee »

Wyatt_Irk wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:14 pm
i found a work-around: i stored the desired program into Extended Memory, then did a memory dump, which showed the "invisible" DUMMY program (invisible to CAT 1). the DUMMY program had two END lines. I deleted those three lines (the LBL "DUMMY" and the two END lines, copied the dump, uploaded it to the DM41. The stray program elements were gone, and the desired program is in extended memory as expected.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior when uploading programs to the DM41? Other than doing this roundabout way of getting rid of the stray bits, I am at a loss.
Hi Wyatt,

I have had the identical problem with my 41L. Thank you for the workaround.

Based on your efforts this should lead to a fix via firmware when the guys get a chance.

<edit> unless its the online encoder adding the stray elements.

Regards,
Bill
Wyatt_Irk

Post by Wyatt_Irk »

Thanks for your reply. it makes me feel a little less nuts.

I don't remember using extended memory when I had my HP41CX in the 80s. i am a little spoiled with the DM41X with its RAM storage, so I've reacqainted myself with extended memory.
🤘
DM41X, DM42, HP33c, DM41