DM16L memory question

Forum for discussion of the DM10, DM11, DM12, DM15, DM16 and DM41 units
badacktor

DM16L memory question

Post by badacktor »

I've been waffling on getting the DM16L for some time now, and I have a small question. could its firmware also be modified to utilize more memory like the DM15L? I've enjoyed writing programs for my 16C, but I'm starting to run up to the memory limitations more and more often. it would be super rad to have a little more breathing space but with its unique CS functionalities.
reavy

Re: DM16L memory question

Post by reavy »

I believe that it should be possible if your unit is one of the newer hardware variants that enables the increased memory on the DM15L. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all the Voyager models use the same internal hardware with different firmware and key overlays applied.
johanw

Post by johanw »

Yes, it would technically be possible (maybe with some limitations like not being able to address the extra memory directly). And the DM1x models all use the same hardware so you can flash a DM15 firmware in a DM16 and it will work, only all the key labels wrong (of course). I don't know if that also is true for the DM41 but it probably won't brick a unit if you try (but if it does brick it I won't accept responsibility).

The main issue is that someone would have to patch the HP16C firmware. AFAIK no one has done that (yet).
badacktor

Post by badacktor »

yeah, to clarify, I don't mean flashing DM15 firmware to a DM16, but patching DM16 firmware so it also has expanded memory like the DM15 alternate firmware options do. still a DM16/HP-16C feature set, just more memory and stuff.