Function of Show in equations

Please report all incorrect calculation results, meaning mathematically incorrect or inconsistent with the HP-32Sii (excluding the superior precision in the DM32), crashes, data-loss events, or other clearly wrong behavior. For complex situations, please be ready to submit a State File for analysis.
rawi

Function of Show in equations

Post by rawi »

Today my new DM 32 arrived. I like it very much. Thanks to all who made this possible! I immediately started to work through the HP 32SII manual.

In the manual of the HP32SII, page 6-2, the function V=0.25*pi*D^2*L is used as an example. When the equation is entered and still visible, typing {Right Shift} SHOW returns a checksum and the length of the equation.

When typing {Right Shift} SHOW on my DM32, I get a window showing the equation.
Is this intended? Is there another way to get the checksum (which I find pretty helpful), or has the HP32SII the same problem as the HP35S that the checksum function does not work?
HPMike

Re: Function of Show in equations

Post by HPMike »

Hello Rawi,

I cannot verify what you have posted regarding the new DM32, since mine has not yet arrived in the USA, however, I can tell you that the checksum and length of the equation is displayed properly on my HP 35s when I type [left shift] SHOW while in EQN mode. I can also tell that it works properly on my original HP 32SII when I type [right shift] SHOW while in EQN mode.
Last edited by HPMike on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Joe Horn

Post by Joe Horn »

rawi wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:42 pm
When typing {Right Shift} SHOW on my DM32, I get a window showing the equation.
Is this intended? Is there another way to get the checksum (which I find pretty helpful), or has the HP32SII the same problem as the HP35S that the checksum function does not work?
Yes, it was decided early during development that checksums and byte counts would be incompatible with the HP 32SII, and not even very useful due to the DM32's ability to import plain text program listings. However, since the DM32's screen is so big, displaying the whole equation at once would be very useful, so that was implemented instead. This is therefore one of the differences between the HP 32SII and the DM32.

Envisioned scenario: An HP 32SII owner finds a program listing online. The only way to get it into his machine is by keying it in from the listing. When he's finished keying it in, he can press SHOW to see its byte count and checksum, to verify that he keyed it in correctly. But if he were a DM32 owner, he could just copy and paste the listing into a plain text file, import that directly from his computer into the DM32, without typing anything. This prevents typos, which makes checksums unnecessary.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Joe Horn wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:49 pm
Yes, it was decided early during development that checksums and byte counts would be incompatible with the HP 32SII, and not even very useful due to the DM32's ability to import plain text program listings. However, since the DM32's screen is so big, displaying the whole equation at once would be very useful, so that was implemented instead. This is therefore one of the differences between the HP 32SII and the DM32.
And for programs what is SHOW showing?

Btw, in the DM32 manual appendix D, for SHOW there is :
displays hex checksum and decimal byte length for equations and programs.
I suppose this should be updated.

Also it would be nice to have in the manual a section about the software differences with the HP 32SII similar to what is already in for the hardware.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Joe Horn

Post by Joe Horn »

dlachieze wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:05 am
And for programs what is SHOW showing?
While a program label is displayed after pressing MEM, PGM, pressing SHOW on the DM32 does nothing, unlike the HP 32SII which displays that program's checksum and byte count.
rawi

Post by rawi »

Joe Horn wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. OK, it is not a bug, it's a feature. But I agree, this makes sense.