Are many of you with the DM32 ?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM32 calculator
rawi

Re: Are many of you with the DM32 ?

Post by rawi »

I bought the DM 32, got it two days ago, and am glad I have it now available.
My first impression: Very similar to the HP 35S, but much faster, with much more precision, the possibility to store and retrieve lots of programs, and a bigger screen, which gives good control over the stack. But it's a pity that the bigger screen is not used to display more than one command line when programming. But the software is still a beta version and I hope very much that this will be changed in future updates.
On the downside: The keys of the HP 35S are bigger and more comfortable to handle.
The DM 32 has a good chance to get my everyday calculator: Easy and direct access to the most important functions, accurate and so far without bugs. But certainly, I will not use it to program the ultimate statistics package. Programs will be more used to automate smaller everyday routines. For the more sophisticated programs I will use the HP Prime or the DM 42S.
Emy

Post by Emy »

rawi wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:52 pm
But it's a pity that the bigger screen is not used to display more than one command line when programming. But the software is still a beta version and I hope very much that this will be changed in future updates.
It will be. Multi-line Program Mode was included at a development stage and removed before release -- to give it a better implementation eventually.
nephilim

Post by nephilim »

I will definitely skip the DM32 due to the awkward combination of a few huge lines on a big screen - and the fact that I am very happy with my two DM42. I was determined to buy a WP43 but that ship has sailed.
DM42 (free42, C47), DM15L, HP15C CE, HP35s, HP33s
Joe Horn

Post by Joe Horn »

nephilim wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:04 pm
I will definitely skip the DM32 due to the awkward combination of a few huge lines on a big screen - and the fact that I am very happy with my two DM42. I was determined to buy a WP43 but that ship has sailed.
Just FYI, the font looks "huge" in the photos, but please be aware that digits on the DM32 are actually smaller than digits on the HP 32SII... but AFAIK nobody reported not buying the HP 32SII because its digits are "huge". Specifics: Digits on the HP 32SII are 6.5 mm tall. Digits on the DM32 are 5 mm tall.
nephilim

Post by nephilim »

Right - the absolute height of the digits is not my (personal) problem. As I wrote it's the combination of font, height and four of these lines on that beautiful, high-resolving screen, which (again) imho feels like a waste and does not please my eye. But that's just me.
DM42 (free42, C47), DM15L, HP15C CE, HP35s, HP33s
OlidaBel

Post by OlidaBel »

nephilim wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 am
Right - the absolute height of the digits is not my (personal) problem. As I wrote it's the combination of font, height and four of these lines on that beautiful, high-resolving screen, which (again) imho feels like a waste and does not please my eye. But that's just me.
Maybe sweet for the old eyes :D :D
---
Olivier
48GX, Prime G2, 50G, DM15L, DM42, 28S, HP 15c CE
Vincent Weber

Post by Vincent Weber »

Hi all,

I bought it, as a reward for the re-engineering performance :)

The 32SII is not my calculator of choice, I prefer the 42 + Equations, that is, Plus42 :)

But I bought the 32 because I was impressed about the tour-de-force of simulating the 32SII beahviour from scratch.

So far Swismicro had demonstrated good hardware and low-level coding skills, but not mathematical and simulation skills.

I have to say I am pretty impressed by the result. It is hard to write a good emulator, but it is much harder to write a good simulator like Free42.

So far I have yet to find a bug in the pure 32SII implementation, save for what is properly documented (e.g. lack of checksum).
The only problem is the lack for full-screen program and equation editing, but this is not a 32SII feature, and it has been promised that this would be rectified, so I trust it will be the case.

I also like cluttered keyboards, it feels powerful, I actually wish Plus42 had a second shift key to simplify the menus and look monstruous :)

The screen is super readable in any light condition, and the low-consumption screen savers are just so cute !

My only complaints are more on the polishing. The keys are a bit stiff, there are a few scratches on the metal plate, and the painting of the "D" in "RAD" is not perfect. Oh well...

Anyway, congrats on the great job, and can't wait for the next firmware version ! Any date ? :)

Cheers,

Vincent
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Vincent Weber wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 pm
can't wait for the next firmware version ! Any date ? :)
Don't worry: just after the next update of that for the DM41X.
:lol:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Calcman54

Post by Calcman54 »

I always liked the HP32Sii because of the number of functions accessible directly from the keyboard. Adding the DM32 to my collection was inevitable and I am very pleased with it. I like to write programs and modify them to run on several machines. The only thing that I miss from the DM32 is access to more memory through indirect addressing similar to the HP35S. The help file states that we will have 26 more locations with the addition of a..z but I'm hoping for several hundred more registers.
anetzer

Post by anetzer »

akaTB wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:30 pm
Don't worry: just after the next update of that for the DM41X.
HP32SII.bmp
HP32SII.bmp (12.25 KiB) Viewed 624 times

True. The firmware on both calculators still has, well, lots of potential indeed.

And the DM32 clearly thrives on a hardware base that it will hardly ever outgrow.

Two shift keys... but without arrow keys it sadly does not qualify as a viable base for the WP43.