Import duty

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM32 calculator
Calcman54

Import duty

Post by Calcman54 »

I'm in Canada and for the DM32 I was charged import duty of 23.68CAD. This is the first time I used DHL but that should not matter. I was not charged duty on my other purchases from SwissMicros. Has anybody else been charged?
rprosperi

Re: Import duty

Post by rprosperi »

This decision is made by Canadian Govt personnel as part of the import and is not affected by SM, and although you likely should be charged for all foreign purchases (I don't know Canadian Import Policies, but that is likely) often that does not happen for smaller items, particularly when mailed via normal post methods. DHL (and Fedex, and UPS, etc.) tend to handle all parcels as thoroughly and officially as they can, for obvious reasons. So you likely got lucky in the past, but this time, the extra speed for delivery cost you in two ways sadly.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
goosnarrggh

Post by goosnarrggh »

Theoretically, every "personal" import over a certain dollar value (I think it's $20), is supposed to be subject to duties and/or taxes. For imports coming from preferred trading partner countries, the import duty for most items is zero percent, but you would still be responsible for sales tax (either GST or HST, as applicable depending on the destination province). If it's coming in via the postal service, it will be automatically sent to Canada Border Services to perform the examination. The border inspector will typically rely on the shipper to fill out a form indicating the nature of the item and its dollar value. If it's a relatively small parcel, it's possible that they might take the form at face value and leave it at that. A claim that it's worth less than $20 will result in it being passed back to Canada Post for delivery.

If the parcel seems unusual in any way (maybe it's particularly heavy, over-size, or perhaps just depending on the phase of the moon) the agent processing the parcel might initiate a more in-depth assessment to figure out what it really is, whether or not it is legal for such an item to cross the border, and how much it's really worth. (They do have the authority to open the package and inspect its contents visually to complete this examination.)

If it is determined that HST or GST is owed, then Canada Post will bill you what amount, plus an additional service charge. They will not release the parcel to you unless you pay that total sum.

If it's being shipped through a courier, then they will have their own processes to ensure that the same regulatory requirements are met. However, they may be more proactive with giving the parcel an increased level of scrutiny, so that they can protect themselves from any legal liability in the event they get something in the assessment wrong. They will also charge service fees (typically called "brokerage fees") in addition to the actual GST/HST and/or duties owing. With many couriers, it is also possible to contact them in advance notifying them that you have filed the import paperwork and prepaid the taxes/duties yourself. That can be useful if you want to pay ONLY the taxes owing but avoid the service fees. But you also take on 100% of the liability if it turns out that anything in the paperwork you filed proves to be false, either deliberately or accidentally.
Viktor Linke

Post by Viktor Linke »

You are not alone.
Today I have received my DM32 here in the Czech Republic (member of the EU) and have been charged for 21% VAT.
So it is quite painfull. But all in all it is nice piece of hardware and I am really happy to own it :D
Klausiw

Post by Klausiw »

Interesting,
I recieved my DM32 without any duty, but on my other puchases I had to pay. Strange behavior
HP 11,12,15,16,41c,41cv,32Sii,35S, DM41x, DM42,DM32
vaklaff

Post by vaklaff »

Klausiw wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:54 pm
Interesting,
I recieved my DM32 without any duty, but on my other puchases I had to pay. Strange behavior
Technically it's an error, you should complain and demand paying the duties ;-)
Required

Post by Required »

I received mine - in Sweden - without any VAT or customs charge.
I'm just punished with a pathetically poor exchange rate. :lol:
I’m the Required one.

42S: 3117S03858 | DM42: 08455 | DM32: 00166 | 15C CE: 00085
Viktor Linke

Post by Viktor Linke »

Klausiw wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:54 pm
Interesting,

The DM32 is my 5th calc from SwissMicro and it is 1st time I had to pay anything more.

Maybe Czech duty clercs are going to be better and better :D
Actually, it is positive fact ?? :shock: