DM42pcm-3.20.8b released

Third parties may release their own firmware builds and announce them in this forum.

Please note that bugs found in these firmware releases should be posted in this same forum. SwissMicros provides no support for these firmware releases so in the event of a problem, please contact the author of the firmware in question.

When publishing your own build of the DM42 firmware, we require that you include a notice in your "About" screen informing the user that this version of the firmware is neither provided by nor supported by SwissMicros.
ljubo

DM42pcm-3.20.8b released

Post by ljubo »

Hi,

The new version of the "Persistent Custom Menu" firmware mod can be downloaded from the releases page. For more info please read README.md

This is a pre-release in anticipation of an official SM 3.20 release. Included changes:
  • Merged 'Fixed bug in pivoting logic for complex LU decomposition' and 'L4STK fix' from thomasokken repository
  • Added RCOMPLX and PCOMPLX from thomasokken repository
  • Persistent menu is not shifted if LCLBL is active.
See the full changelog here: CHANGELOG.md

Note: This firmware is neither provided by nor supported by SwissMicros

-Ljubo
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
pica

Re: DM42pcm-3.20.8b released

Post by pica »

Seems to be working fine.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
pica

Post by pica »

The power loss issue that I reported under "Hardware issues" in the forum viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3082 seems to be connected somehow to DM42pcm-3.20.8b . I have not been able to pinpoint the problem exactly, and may be wrong.

OTOH DM42pcm3.19.7 is solid. I have upgraded to DMCP-3.22, to get the new font, and it is still good.
I am now so used to it, that I will not move from it until there is a working pcm3.20. Free42 is pretty mature code.

I have (finally) got the logic of the shifted pcm menu, and have shuffled the custom commands around to fit:
middle row, for unshifted item, where there can be things like unshifted Complex, or x^2
top row for "normally" shifted commands and bottom row accessible only with down arrow.
All in all, it's a really versatile arrangement. I hope this eventually catches the eye of the official developers.
By now, it is a well proven concept.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
Peet

Post by Peet »

I use the v3.20.8a for about 2 month and didn't found any issue. Because the changes in the v3.20.8b do not affect me, I didn't do the update. The 3.20.8a seems as solid as 3.19.7 but with one irritating bug fixed.
pica wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:06 pm
I have cleared the calc state and downgraded the firmware, to no avail.
pica wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:31 am
My problem was eventually solved by loading an older state file. I have not been able to work out what the difference was.
But if it was the firmware, why was the downgrading (to which version?) and clearing (delete?) the state unsuccessful? Even more confusing, why an older state file fixed it. Maybe something was causing bad/corrupted state-files to be created - did you do other things than loading the older state file when it was solved?

Addendum: I updated to the new official firmware and I observed exactly what was described with the voltage (DMCP-3.22 / DM42-3.20 - memory lost and no state loaded) so it seems it has nothing to do with the pcm-Firmware or state-file. I think the DM42 shows a lower voltage after loading because it was calculatet while it is accessing the flash-memory.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
pica

Post by pica »

Peet wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:46 am
I use the v3.20.8a for about 2 month and didn't found any issue. Because the changes in the v3.20.8b do not affect me, I didn't do the update. The 3.20.8a seems as solid as 3.19.7 but with one irritating bug fixed.
pica wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:06 pm
I have cleared the calc state and downgraded the firmware, to no avail.
pica wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:31 am
My problem was eventually solved by loading an older state file. I have not been able to work out what the difference was.
But if it was the firmware, why was the downgrading (to which version?) and clearing (delete?) the state unsuccessful? Even more confusing, why an older state file fixed it. Maybe something was causing bad/corrupted state-files to be created - did you do other things than loading the older state file when it was solved? ...
My theory is that when the problem is evident, there is a process running in the background even when switched off. The problem then appears when only when that process happens to be running. Also, that power must be throttled in some way while off, to conserve the battery.
It will be interesting to see if bug reports come in from users who have never used a pcm version.
I seem to have missed 20.8a. I will try it just now...
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.