DM42pcm-3.21.9 released

Third parties may release their own firmware builds and announce them in this forum.

Please note that bugs found in these firmware releases should be posted in this same forum. SwissMicros provides no support for these firmware releases so in the event of a problem, please contact the author of the firmware in question.

When publishing your own build of the DM42 firmware, we require that you include a notice in your "About" screen informing the user that this version of the firmware is neither provided by nor supported by SwissMicros.
ljubo

DM42pcm-3.21.9 released

Post by ljubo »

Hi,

The new version of the "Persistent Custom Menu" firmware mod can be downloaded from the releases page. For more info please read README.md

Included changes:
  • Added PCM firmware mod setup menu to turn PCM functionality on/off and to control shift functionality
  • Merged number of fixes and improvements from the latest thomasokken/free42 repository
See the full changelog here: CHANGELOG.md

I run a very simple program to test merged arithmetic functionality improvements (in essence series of functions and their inverse so that the result is predictable, e.g. SIN ASIN COS ACOS LN e^x etc.). I tried to search for a more sophisticated RPN test program, but was not able to find it. Actually it is an interesting problem - creating an RPN program that will discover potential bugs in arithmetic functionality (for real and complex arguments). Would be interesting to know how Thomas Okken tests free42 releases?

Note: This firmware is neither provided by nor supported by SwissMicros

-Ljubo
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
lispm

Re: DM42pcm-3.21.9 released

Post by lispm »

Just Installed it.

Works like a charm.

Great to have more of Thomas Okkens new Free42 features now on my DM42.

Great Idea to use EXIT in PGM to turn off PCM

Thanks

TI 55, HP16C, HP41C, DM42, APPLE ][, TRS-80, ATARI 800XL, ATARI 520ST, XEROX 1186 DANDELION, SYMBOLICS 3640, TI EXPLORER II
BLOG: https://yazuu.org/en/showblog_public.php?user=1&blog=
Peet

Post by Peet »

Thanks, really fantastic, the best firmware for the DM42 yet.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
rudi

Post by rudi »

Just installed this one, thanks, it's great.
First thing I checked, was if the "editor bug" (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3156) was fixed with the new Free42 - and it is!!!

However, I noticed something else; if you enter a program, and press either arrow up or arrow down, nothing happens, the cursor doesn't move.
The empty menu is shown:

Pressing [EXIT] removes the empty menu, and the up/down keys are functioning again.

Is this an intentional behaviour? I guess that it is because the menu swallows the up/down to browse the menu lines?

Hmm - so either live with this or wait till SM releases a firmware with the latest Free42.
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

lispm wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:11 pm
Thanks for the feedback - by the way, the main purpose of 3.21.9 release was to update PCM setup menu and add shift behavior configuration.

However, there was a fix in Thomas Okkens free42 that caught my eye - "Complex sqrt could have wrong sign in certain cases" - so, I decided to pull in some bugfixes and some accuracy improvements too. I ended up with more changes than I'm comfortable with - therefore some hedging in the release email and soft request to test the release. Anyway, as soon as somebody spot strange behavior I would roll back "bugfix" part.

Number of new free42 features were not merged - too risky, too much work and I'm not aware that somebody is desperately waiting for some - there I'm waiting for an official SM release.
Peet wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 pm
Thanks! However, as mentioned above, this release is a bit risky - please test it as much as possible.
rudi wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:38 am
First thing I checked, was if the "editor bug" (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3156) was fixed with the new Free42 - and it is!!!
Thanks! Concerning "editor bug", well - it was not me I think :) - I assume this was already fixed in the official SM release 3.21 - have you tested 3.21?
However, I noticed something else; if you enter a program, and press either arrow up or arrow down, nothing happens, the cursor doesn't move.
The empty menu is shown:
This is the feature of persistent custom menu firmware mod - I assume your custom menu is empty and therefore you see empty menu.
Pressing [EXIT] removes the empty menu, and the up/down keys are functioning again.

Is this an intentional behaviour? I guess that it is because the menu swallows the up/down to browse the menu lines?

Hmm - so either live with this or wait till SM releases a firmware with the latest Free42.
Yes, this is intentional behavior - Exit will exit persistent custom menu, however, only if you are in program mode.

If you don't need pcm functionality, the best is to stick with the official SM releases, otherwise you will have to "live with this" :) (or turn off pcm in the setup menu, but this is defeating the purpose :-) )
rudi

Post by rudi »

ljubo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 am
lispm wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:11 pm
Thanks for the feedback - by the way, the main purpose of 3.21.9 release was to update PCM setup menu and add shift behavior configuration.

However, there was a fix in Thomas Okkens free42 that caught my eye - "Complex sqrt could have wrong sign in certain cases" - so, I decided to pull in some bugfixes and some accuracy improvements too. I ended up with more changes than I'm comfortable with - therefore some hedging in the release email and soft request to test the release. Anyway, as soon as somebody spot strange behavior I would roll back "bugfix" part.

Number of new free42 features were not merged - too risky, too much work and I'm not aware that somebody is desperately waiting for some - there I'm waiting for an official SM release.
Peet wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 pm
Thanks! However, as mentioned above, this release is a bit risky - please test it as much as possible.
rudi wrote:
Thanks! Concerning "editor bug", well - it was not me I think :) - I assume this was already fixed in the official SM release 3.21 - have you tested 3.21?
The empty menu is shown:
This is the feature of persistent custom menu firmware mod - I assume your custom menu is empty and therefore you see empty menu.

Yes, this is intentional behavior - Exit will exit persistent custom menu, however, only if you are in program mode.

If you don't need pcm functionality, the best is to stick with the official SM releases, otherwise you will have to "live with this" :) (or turn off pcm in the setup menu, but this is defeating the purpose :-) )
Thanks - well, I dont really need the PCM all the time, but sometimes I find it annoying that the CM vanishes, so I'll try using it for now ;-)
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

ljubo wrote:
rudi wrote:
Are we talking about this multi-line editor bug?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=476&p=5569#p5569

If so, that's a DM42 bug, this is functionality that is in the DM42 patch, not in Free42.

(And note that the multi-line editor in Plus42 is a completely separate thing. The fact that it does not have this particular bug does not help the DM42, since its firmware is not based on Plus42.)
rudi

Post by rudi »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:03 pm
ljubo wrote:
rudi wrote:
Are we talking about this multi-line editor bug?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=476&p=5569#p5569

If so, that's a DM42 bug, this is functionality that is in the DM42 patch, not in Free42.

(And note that the multi-line editor in Plus42 is a completely separate thing. The fact that it does not have this particular bug does not help the DM42, since its firmware is not based on Plus42.)
Hmmm... Which Free42 version is included in DM42pcm-3.21.9 then?
Because the "editor bug" is fixed somehow in this build.

And yes Thomas, I know it is not a bug in Free42, since there's only two display lines in the Free42 - sorry.
/Rudi

Denmark
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

rudi wrote:
This is strange - I have tested it too, and the "editor bug" is still there - could somebody else check if the bug is present on their DM42 ?
rudi wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:58 pm
Hmmm... Which Free42 version is included in DM42pcm-3.21.9 then?
Because the "editor bug" is fixed somehow in this build.
3.21.9 is based on the SM release 3.21, means free42 v3.0.9, however, as described, I have merged accuracy improvements from the newest free42 (v3.0.13a and even the latest check-in on Jun 22, 2022). Those merged changes shouldn't impact "editor bug" (well, maybe, just maybe, floor() fix that is also part of the merge). So, the bug shouldn't be fixed :-o ...

Edit: I think I know what's happening - could it be that you press "Exit" (to remove custom menu) after you started with number entry? - In that case, together with removal of the custom menu, the proper program listing (without "editor bug") will be displayed, but on the next number entry the bug is there again. This is maybe also pointing a way to fix (better said work around) the bug - adding some redisplay of the screen at the proper point.
rudi

Post by rudi »

ljubo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:57 pm

Edit: I think I know what's happening - could it be that you press "Exit" (to remove custom menu) after you started with number entry? - In that case, together with removal of the custom menu, the proper program listing (without "editor bug") will be displayed, but on the next number entry the bug is there again. This is maybe also pointing a way to fix (better said work around) the bug - adding some redisplay of the screen at the proper point.
Yes - that could be what happened.
/Rudi

Denmark