Persistent custom menu release 3.19.5

Third parties may release their own firmware builds and announce them in this forum.

Please note that bugs found in these firmware releases should be posted in this same forum. SwissMicros provides no support for these firmware releases so in the event of a problem, please contact the author of the firmware in question.

When publishing your own build of the DM42 firmware, we require that you include a notice in your "About" screen informing the user that this version of the firmware is neither provided by nor supported by SwissMicros.
ljubo

Persistent custom menu release 3.19.5

Post by ljubo »

Hi,

The new version of the "Persistent Custom Menu" firmware mod can be downloaded from the releases page. For more info please read README.md

Changes:
  • Update to DM42-3.19 / free42 v3.0.3
See the full changelog here: CHANGELOG.md

Note: This firmware is neither provided by nor supported by SwissMicros

-Ljubo
Last edited by ljubo on Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
pica

Re: Persistent custom menu release 3.19.5

Post by pica »

I have not checked the forum for a while. The f3 pcm toggle is great, as it now allows for easy debugging of programs with single step and then going back to pcm mode. Thank-you!
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

pica wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:49 pm
I have not checked the forum for a while. The f3 pcm toggle is great, as it now allows for easy debugging of programs with single step and then going back to pcm mode. Thank-you!
Thanks! I‘m actually thinking to make the pcm toggle even easier by making Shift-Custom key press itself a toggle. As a side effect Shift-F3 will become free and It could be assigned to e.g. DM42F3S user function call.

On the another hand, making Shift-Custom toggling pcm would also mean that the original behaviour would not be supported .
Peet

Post by Peet »

I think to assign shift F3 would not be so much benefit as the downside not being 100% compatible with the Original when PCM is of.
If someone needs more functions with F3 then it would already possible now if you start a menu program with DM42F3.

I think the actual version is near the optimum, the only thing that I am not fully convinced is the shift key behavior in PCM because of the three states of the custom menus - I find it less irritating only rotate with up and down instead one time changin to a maybe unwanted line with shift.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
pica

Post by pica »

Peet wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:59 am
I think to assign shift F3 would not be so much benefit as the downside not being 100% compatible with the Original when PCM is of.
If someone needs more functions with F3 then it would already possible now if you start a menu program with DM42F3.

I think the actual version is near the optimum, the only thing that I am not fully convinced is the shift key behavior in PCM because of the three states of the custom menus - I find it less irritating only rotate with up and down instead one time changin to a maybe unwanted line with shift.
Yes, I agree with Peet. I like it the way it is, except for the shift menu. I am happy using the up/down arrows to change the menu. The change of menu with shift is confusing when all I want is a shifted function.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

pica wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:49 am
Peet wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:59 am

I think the actual version is near the optimum, the only thing that I am not fully convinced is the shift key behavior in PCM because of the three states of the custom menus - I find it less irritating only rotate with up and down instead one time changing to a maybe unwanted line with shift.
Yes, I agree with Peet. I like it the way it is, except for the shift menu. I am happy using the up/down arrows to change the menu. The change of menu with shift is confusing when all I want is a shifted function.
Thanks for the feedback. I was also not sure if it is a good idea to give up on 100% compatibility when pcm is turned off - convinced - will leave it as it is - means Shift-F3 toggling pcm on and off. Concerning shift that is temporary showing other custom menu - I think this is useful and doesn't really interfere with any other functionality - well, maybe it could be a bit confusing at the beginning but I don't see any other negative effects. At the same time it extends number of easy accessible functions to 12. I will consider adding a configuration option in the setup to turn it on and off.
Peet

Post by Peet »

In the current version (3.19.7) there are only advantages compared to the original firmware and not a single disadvantage.
In this respect, the function of the shift key is not a deal breaker.
The actual shift key performance can offer advantages if you dessign a custom menu matching .... but there is a "but".

... a custom menu has not two BUT three rows.

With normal usage you can reach the next line with the down-arrow (next) and the previous with the up-arrow (back) so there are already 18 easy accessible functions.

Shift does not shift, it rotates (only for the next key pressed) one raw back e.g. from the "01-06 row" to "13-18" or from "13-18" to "07-12" (a little confusing and not easy to explain in a manual). On the other hand, if user uses this as an advantage, the current assignment is of course better for them.

Complemental description: The function of shift in LCLBL is completely confusing. In order to execute XEQ a you do not have to execute XEQ shift A but XEQ shift F
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

Peet wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:27 pm
Complemental description: The function of shift in LCLBL is completely confusing. In order to execute XEQ a you do not have to execute XEQ shift A but XEQ shift F
This was indeed very confusing - please test the pre-release version DM42pcm-3.20.8a (shifted pcm is disabled if LCLBL is active - see https://github.com/ljubo106/DM42pcm/releases).
Peet

Post by Peet »

ljubo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:08 pm
This was indeed very confusing - please test the pre-release version DM42pcm-3.20.8a
runs like clockwork
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

Peet wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:05 pm
runs like clockwork
As to be expected for a Swiss made product :D