FAST/SLOW flag/function

The Beta programme is where a device becomes fully formed. If you have any suggestions for features to integrate into the DM41X then feel free to make them here. We can't guarantee that they'll all end up in the final product but we'll certainly consider all sensible proposals.
Panchdara

FAST/SLOW flag/function

Post by Panchdara »

Just a very small request (and it's definitely not mission critical)

Can a built-function be added to DM41X to indicate the speed state?

Such as FAST? returning either 0 (SLOW) or 1 (FAST)
FAST? // places 1 or 0 in X
X=0?
SF n // or you can CF n
R↓
(Unfortunately pushes a value on stack in this case)

OR

FAST? that executes following line if in FAST mode
FAST?
SF n //only executes if in FAST mode

Other than getting the editor dog food issue sorted, everything else is marvelous. 👍
Panchdara

Re: FAST/SLOW flag/function

Post by Panchdara »

Panchdara wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 am

X=0?
SF n // or you can CF n
R↓

OR

FAST?

Other than getting the editor dog food issue sorted, everything else is marvelous. 👍

Edit: observation- the goose flies L->R in SLOW mode and R->L in FAST mode, so s/w is aware of mode.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Panchdara wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:38 am
Panchdara wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 am

X=0?
SF n // or you can CF n
R↓

OR

FAST?

Edit: observation- the goose flies L->R in SLOW mode and R->L in FAST mode, so s/w is aware of mode.
Actually, that's not the case, it just looks that way as the LCD driver is sampling the actual location makes it appear so. The 41x is running the original 41 ROM and has no knowledge of it's speed; the emulator around it does and throttles the speed as necessary (e.g. when in FAST mode it needs to slow the system for some commands such as BEEP).
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Panchdara

Post by Panchdara »

Just reporting an observation then. So, the system knows the mode... why not expose that? Making this into a very uncomfortable/unwelcome suggestion.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Panchdara wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:31 pm
Just reporting an observation then. So, the system knows the mode... why not expose that? Making this into a very uncomfortable/unwelcome suggestion.
The 41X uses the original 41 ROM, so the OS, functions and applications (which includes any application ROMs) have no visibility into any information or status of the emulation that it is running within; when it was originally running, there was nothing around it except the actual h/w.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Peet

Post by Peet »

I'm pretty sure the operating system could show it in the status bar. Py41, a HP41 emulator on the Prime can do it too, although it uses the original ROMs. Instead of using flimsy excuses, why not just say that there are no plans to implement this feature?
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

Peet wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am
I'm pretty sure the operating system could show it in the status bar. Py41, a HP41 emulator on the Prime can do it too, although it uses the original ROMs. Instead of using flimsy excuses, why not just say that there are no plans to implement this feature?
The OP wanted an additional built-in function, which requires modification in the original ROM. Personally I think it's a substantial undertaking but I haven't tried.
You're welcome to try if you feel that's easy, I'm sure he/she'd be glad about it. :)

But it seems you're after a display indicator only. The best is for you to make the suggestion directly to SwissMicros, if you don't like discussing it with knowledgeable people in the forums.

Either way I haven't seen SM using any "flimsy excuse" about this, they've probably not even considered the indicator. Maybe I missed something there?
Boub65

Post by Boub65 »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:10 am
Panchdara wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:31 pm
The 41X uses the original 41 ROM, so the OS, functions and applications (which includes any application ROMs) have no visibility into any information or status of the emulation that it is running within; when it was originally running, there was nothing around it except the actual h/w.
@bob, the DM41X ROM "must" somehow now in what mode it is running to slow down when in FAST mode 1) the goose 2) functions like CATALOG...

I am wrong? Did I miss something? Or is your answer about he original HP41CX rom?
Sincèrement, Sincerely, 73,
Boubker

DM15L, DM41L, DM42 #00855 (domes upgraded), DM41X #00707
HP48SX (with dark screen), HP42s, HP32SII (1990 with fraction bug), HP41C/CV
TI-89 titanium, CASIO fx-cg50 and Numworks (to play with micropython)
Peet

Post by Peet »

redglyph wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:57 am
The OP wanted an additional built-in function, which requires modification in the original ROM. Personally I think it's a substantial undertaking but I haven't tried.
I don't know all the things the OP wants but he wrote: "the system knows the mode... why not expose that?" One way to do this is to display it in the Status-Bar. An indicator in the status bar should be solvable by the OS.

I don't really care if this function is added or not, I like the DM41X in its current form and I can live with the small quirks.
But if someone provides arguments against a function, then at least they should correspond to reality.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

Peet wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:17 pm
I don't know all the things the OP wants but he wrote: "the system knows the mode... why not expose that?" One way to do this is to display it in the Status-Bar. An indicator in the status bar should be solvable by the OS.

I don't really care if this function is added or not, I like the DM41X in its current form and I can live with the small quirks.
But if someone provides arguments against a function, then at least they should correspond to reality.
I don't understand, you're criticizing a reply to his question - twice now, and you haven't even read it? It's a simple and clear question enough. :roll: