DSP mode with only 1 line

The Beta programme is where a device becomes fully formed. If you have any suggestions for features to integrate into the DM41X then feel free to make them here. We can't guarantee that they'll all end up in the final product but we'll certainly consider all sensible proposals.
bernouilli

DSP mode with only 1 line

Post by bernouilli »

I think this has already been suggested but it cannot find the post, maybe it was on another forum.

When using DSP to switch between the various display modes, there should be a mode where only 1 line is displayed, just like on a real hp41.
This because when you run some interactive programs, both the XY display and AX display aren’t satisfying. On AX display, when alpha register is shown, the Alpha register appears twice and on XY display, you can see the Y register that contains non relevant information. Same problem with the full stack display.
I would like to have a mode where only the X/Alpha register is shown with the annunciators. I would even be glad if in this mode the information on the upper side (alarms, program name etc) is not displayed.
Last edited by bernouilli on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM15L - DM42 - DM41x
EM41

Re: DSP mode with only 1 line

Post by EM41 »

I suggested this some time ago but it was at the time that the 2 line (XY reg) mode was not available.
The 2 line mode does what I want, no alpha reg visible just an extra Y reg line.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
hpgene

Post by hpgene »

I suspect there are some poorly written game programs where the Y-register may have contained an important hint as to the answer... waiting to compare it to an number input into x.

Yes, poorly written indeed, but ...
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

hpgene wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 pm
I suspect there are some poorly written game programs where the Y-register may have contained an important hint as to the answer... waiting to compare it to an number input into x.

Yes, poorly written indeed, but ...
Nobody pointed out this for the DM42, or even the HP42...
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Dan Simpson

Post by Dan Simpson »

Electrical Tape works great for creating such custom display modes! :D
My Collection: HP-55, HP-67 (Teenix Mod), HP-15C, HP-16C, HP-41CV, HP-41CX, SY41-CL, DM41X, DM42, HP-42S, HP-48G, HP-71B, HP-75C, HP-86B.
bernouilli

Post by bernouilli »

Dan Simpson wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Electrical Tape works great for creating such custom display modes! :D
You’re absolutely right :-)
DM15L - DM42 - DM41x
MikeSD

Post by MikeSD »

i thought that was a problem too. But it's because it's faithfully emulating the 41 series. There is only one line and that line is the same on the 41C as it is on the DM41x. The alpha register only updates when the emulator stops. And the 2nd line isn't ever seen on a real 41. But it's there on both calculators.

The XA mode is very useful, when you depends on prompts. When you run a program, the alpha is displayed on the bottom row, while emulator is running. When it stops, the alpha line is populated. I then instinctively hit the <-- arrow, and the bottom row shows what a real 41c would show. The 2nd line always shows the prompt. So, it's not necessary on the bottom row and <-- removes it. Remember, on a real 41, you have only one row. that 1 row, s the same as what you see on the DM41X.
Making the single line row, does nothing to change the way the caculator behaves. Just focus on the bottomline, and that is your single line display.
SM Calcs: DM41Xβ, DM41X, DM41L, DM15L, DM42 (ordered)
Peet

Post by Peet »

bernouilli wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:04 pm
When using DSP to switch between the various display modes, there should be a mode where only 1 line is displayed, just like on a real hp41.
This because when you run some interactive programs, both the XY display and AX display aren’t satisfying. On AX display, when alpha register is shown, the Alpha register appears twice and on XY display, you can see the Y register that contains non relevant information. Same problem with the full stack display.
I had exactly this case again yesterday during a program. It just doesn't look good when the alpha line is displayed twice after prompt or aview in XA mode. Unfortunately, this makes XA mode almost useless. I miss an option to avoiding this. An 1 line mode would be an improvement for HP41 compatibility.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

The System Info (SI) modes are available if you don't want to see more stack, and specifically SI_XY view shows only X and Y registers which is as close as the 41X gets to showing a single line without Alpha. This is unlikely to change, but I point it out as it seems many people have not noticed this option.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Peet

Post by Peet »

rprosperi wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:07 pm
The System Info (SI) modes are available if you don't want to see more stack, and specifically SI_XY view shows only X and Y registers ...
This is my most used setting but @hpgene already described the disadvantage of this setting "where the Y-register may have contained an important hint as to the answer... waiting to compare it to an number input into x".

I think it's a good idea to take advantage of the display's capabilities with new modes. It's just a pity that these weren't implemented quite optimally and the original mode is missing.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42