Scrolling CAT listings anyone?

The Beta programme is where a device becomes fully formed. If you have any suggestions for features to integrate into the DM41X then feel free to make them here. We can't guarantee that they'll all end up in the final product but we'll certainly consider all sensible proposals.
pauli

Re: Scrolling CAT listings anyone?

Post by pauli »

Agreed, this would be an improvement.

Not having the catalog automatically progress would be great in conjunction.

Pauli
EM41

Post by EM41 »

I am happy with all additions and I really enjoy most of them as long as they can be switched off completely, which is the case for most of them now.
I only miss a pure HP41 display, it would be great to have the option to switch off the 4 line stack display, leaving only one line.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

EM41 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 pm
I only miss a pure HP41 display, it would be great to have the option to switch off the 4 line stack display, leaving only one line.
The SI view has only the X and Alpha registers, which is not much stack (with apologies to Python's "I'll have SPAM, SPAM, Eggs, Bacon and SPAM, it's not got much SPAM").

Are the other parts of the SI view, and the full-stack view distracting?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Not distracting but...

I think the purest in me wanted a 41CX facia exact to the original, but then, I have 3 CLs so I am happy.

Maybe EM4, inference from his name, would have liked the original single display, and key format On a DM bronze case. Not a 41 on a 42 case.

Just being a purest!

If I can make this simpler, give me a brand new 41 case with brand new guts. And make the case a lifer like SwissMicros have made theirs.

Cheers!
EM41

Post by EM41 »

The DM41 is almost perfect so there is only room for nagging about little things, I can live with the DM41 as it is.
I have been thinking about buying a broken 41 and put this in it https://hackaday.com/2018/07/04/nonpare ... tor-build/
The PCB needs to be shaped different and that takes a lot of time so I guess its easier and cheaper to buy a cheap 41C and convert it to a CL.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

EM41 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 pm
The DM41 is almost perfect so there is only room for nagging about little things, I can live with the DM41 as it is.
I have been thinking about buying a broken 41 and put this in it https://hackaday.com/2018/07/04/nonpare ... tor-build/
The PCB needs to be shaped different and that takes a lot of time so I guess its easier and cheaper to buy a cheap 41C and convert it to a CL.
Thanks for clarifying. I get it, I still find things I'd like to change in the 41 itself. Perfect is hard to find, and if you do, wait a day and look again... Though I'll also add that lots of things that were most annoying have been corrected by using some of Angel's modules. Happiness in a ROM... :D

Unfortunately the NP41 project from Chris did not work out well, he ran into lots of problems which he felt he could not overcome and has put it on 'indefinite hold', possibly to return-to someday, but it seems unlikely. A handful of units were sold, many of which stopped working, which added to the frustration.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Unfortunately the NP41 project from Chris did not work out well, he ran into lots of problems which he felt he could not overcome and has put it on 'indefinite hold', possibly to return-to someday, but it seems unlikely. A handful of units were sold, many of which stopped working, which added to the frustration.
Exactly: mine now has a damaged boot sector after a bad firmware flash.
Really unfortunate that Chris did not overcome its problems.

Oh well, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Now I have the DM41X to play with, no need to search further. And I will buy more when production starts.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

EM41

Have you looked at the 41CL?

The 41CL will be running my lab this fall with HPIL accessories. The best of both worlds, modern tech and original case. Since it is in the lab I am not concerned with the lack of robustness of the original case.

The DM41X is in the airplane cockpit and even though I love the DM42S the functionality and familiarity of the DM41x plus its robust case and display (I don’t do graphics) make it highly suitable for more dynamic environment.

EM41

Post by EM41 »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Have you looked at the 41CL?
Yes this is absolutely on my wish list.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

To provide a different perspective. I'm not so worried about the 'authenticity' of the 41 experience. The core of the emulation means that to all intents and purposes the 41x is a 41 minus the IL capabilities. I'm far more interested in areas where an authentic 41 experience can be augmented by the possibilities of the DM... hardware and base operating system. I think much of this perspective is driven by my experience with i41cx on iOS, where a 100% authentic emulation is augmented by new utilitarian features made possible by the hosting technology.

The DM42 was a commercial success because it managed to capture the imagination of a far wider audience than hardcore HP calculator fans. And I believe the 41x could also reach a wider audience (probably not to the same extent). But those little flourishes like the one being discussed in this thread are a key aspect of creating a product that appeals to a wider audience, and those flourishes needn't be to the detriment of the things that made the 41 great.