Proposal for CST/CONF

The Beta programme is where a device becomes fully formed. If you have any suggestions for features to integrate into the DM41X then feel free to make them here. We can't guarantee that they'll all end up in the final product but we'll certainly consider all sensible proposals.
Guenter

Proposal for CST/CONF

Post by Guenter »

Now we know what CST and CONF are for. This is a very nice feature.

But I think this function can be taken further with limited (I hope so) effort.

There are already 3 keys: <UP> <DOWN> and <ALPHA> that need <SHIFT> to be pressed, to invoke their assigned functions. These keys are not shown when you press <CST>, so you have to know by heart, what you have assigned them to. On the other hand a lot of keys are not used yet, <Q> through <Z> <=>, <?>, <:>, <SPACE> and <.>

I'd propose to have a second screen that is invoked by pressing shift. You need that key already for the special keys mentioned above. On this second screen the assignments for SHIFT <UP> etc. could be shown and all the other additional keys mentioned above could play their role also. Give them justice ;)

<SHIFT> would toggle between the two screens.

There could be a conflict assumed because <1> through <5> have functions themselves, but I think this conflict can be resolved by making them accessible only when the respective screen is active.

Any thoughts?

Günter

Edit: I had wrongly assumed that the special keys <UP>, <DOWN> and <ALPHA> would need the <CST> key pressed first. I learned from Bob that it doesn't work that way rather they do their job without <CST>, therefore some of the rationale given above does not apply, sorry.

But having a second screen for additional commands still may have its value.
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
Dave Britten

Re: Proposal for CST/CONF

Post by Dave Britten »

I would love to see a couple more pages for the CST menu that could be selected with the up and down arrow keys (much like the 3-page CUSTOM menu on the 42S). Ideally, CST would open whatever page you had displayed most recently. Then I could have a page for commonly used functions (RUp, X<>, etc.), a page for financial functions (date calculations, amortization), and so on.

It's definitely a very handy feature even in its current state!
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Dave Britten wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 am
I would love to see a couple more pages for the CST menu that could be selected with the up and down arrow keys (much like the 3-page CUSTOM menu on the 42S). Ideally, CST would open whatever page you had displayed most recently. Then I could have a page for commonly used functions (RUp, X<>, etc.), a page for financial functions (date calculations, amortization), and so on.

2 hours into use and already suggesting enhancements? :o

Great, bring on the ideas, just be patient as suggestions are considered.
Last edited by rprosperi on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

rprosperi wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:00 am
Dave Britten wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 am

2 hours into use and already suggesting enhancements? :o

Great, bring on the ideas, just be patient suggestions are considered.
Oh of course, I have no expectation this will be added tomorrow. :D
hsilop

Post by hsilop »

I like the CST function and the A to P keys that allow you to quickly execute programs. However the stack is not visible. I tend to write most of my programs as functions, key in the value, run the program, return the result in the X register. Simple. Perhaps a CST mode could be added to show at least the X register as well as the A to P quick keys.

In the meantime I'll just stick to the old fashioned USER mode approach.
Steve

DM32 SN: 00316
DM41X SN: 00854
DM42 SN: 03223

HP11C, HP12C, HP15C, HP16C, HP25, HP32S, HP33C, HP41CV, HP46, HP65