Additional Option for the SI Screen

The Beta programme is where a device becomes fully formed. If you have any suggestions for features to integrate into the DM41X then feel free to make them here. We can't guarantee that they'll all end up in the final product but we'll certainly consider all sensible proposals.
RAPo

Re: Additional Option for the SI Screen

Post by RAPo »

As indicated before: it is still unclear to me what is possible and what not? I was quite happy with the go41x implementation that has a one line display with the option to show the three stack elements in one line.

Is it possible to add a debugger screen? Is it possible to add a register screen, is it possible to add a flag--screen?
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM41X: SN00496.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM42:SN06020.
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

RAPo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm
As indicated before: it is still unclear to me what is possible and what not? I was quite happy with the go41x implementation that has a one line display with the option to show the three stack elements in one line.

Is it possible to add a debugger screen? Is it possible to add a register screen, is it possible to add a flag--screen?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'what is possible'.

If you mean can the 41X you have now have those features 'turned-on' by some menu option or command, then no, none of those are available.

If you mean can those features be added at a later date, then almost anything (within reason) is 'possible', however new features would be added only if widely desired and useful to most users. And generally speaking, the goal is retain as much of the original 41 OS "Feel" as possible. I'm not sure what a 'register screen' is (display of register contents?) but the other 2 features you've asked about seem unlikely (assuming debug means MCODE level - that simply will not be coming).

Does that answer your questions?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
RAPo

Post by RAPo »

Hi Bob,
Yes, a registerscreen is a screen showing the content of the registers. See attached image from go41CX.
And for possible: is it possible in the future. Or is such a wish out of the question because of the architecture of the system?
As for being as close as possible to the original HP41: agreed for keyboard, core functionality, that shouldn't restrict modern developments, because time progresses and a calculator is a tool for working.

The image below is also from go41cx and shows the top line showing the xyz stack
Image would great to have this always visible in the DM41X.
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM41X: SN00496.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM42:SN06020.
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,
jthole

Post by jthole »

I like the idea of an extra screen with a single stack line. But why not use the free space to show which modules are plugged in?
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Displaying the currently installed module configuration has been in the cards all along, it's just a matter of priorities and timing, but I'm glad to see so many users are: A) using modules, B) wanting to see the current config more easily that going to AM screen, and C) posting these suggestions.

We've targeted Core Functionality for the initial release (e.g. you can load modules and see the config from the AM view, even if taking several manual steps) and then refinement to reduce steps and/or ease access, enhance views, etc. in subsequent updates.
--bob p

Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

pcscote wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:49 am
Sorry, could not resist! :D

Why not? Heaps better than the permanent alpha display which cripples in a way all old programs.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Rmollov wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:51 pm
Why not? Heaps better than the permanent alpha display which cripples in a way all old programs.
Please explain how having alpha in the display cripples anything? It seems that at worst, it's redundant when seen in both the Alpha and X register lines. And of course, the XYZT stack view is available as well as an alternate.

It's definitely not my intent to say you're wrong, merely trying to get you to explain why it isn't useful, or objectionable. For example, is it really better to simply not display alpha at all, only display if it's not being shown in the X register, etc.?
--bob p

Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

rprosperi wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:25 am
Rmollov wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:51 pm
Please explain how having alpha in the display cripples anything? It seems that at worst, it's redundant when seen in both the Alpha and X register lines. And of course, the XYZT stack view is available as well as an alternate.

It's definitely not my intent to say you're wrong, merely trying to get you to explain why it isn't useful, or objectionable. For example, is it really better to simply not display alpha at all, only display if it's not being shown in the X register, etc.?
Cripples in a way means distracting attention and confusing the user by showing two equally visible lines, one of which may or may not be irrelevant. So every time I expect to read result I start wondering which is what. But that might be only me, of coarse. I'd like to hear from someone who actually likes it.
I'd vote for not only alpha not being displayed at all, but the area currently occupied by it to be blackened (as in Sylvain's screenshot above) so to visually and categorically separate the old fashion display from the rest of the screen, thus stay closer to the original look.
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

“ is it really better to simply not display alpha at all, only display if it's not being shown in the X register, etc.?

I think you nailed it for me Bob with the above statement.

When I want the alpha to be displayed I use AVIEW, ARCL X and etc and also with PMTA. A duplicate display is distracting for me, of course I am used to the single line HP 41C.

Cheers,
Geoff
jthole

Post by jthole »

Not sure if it is possible to make DSP switchable between showing either X and Alpha, or X and Y? The latter would be my preference anyway.