Save FOCAL's and ROM's from the 41OS

The Beta programme is where a device becomes fully formed. If you have any suggestions for features to integrate into the DM41X then feel free to make them here. We can't guarantee that they'll all end up in the final product but we'll certainly consider all sensible proposals.
smp

Re: Save FOCAL's and ROM's from the 41OS

Post by smp »

I agree with staying like the original HP-41CX.
If it is possible to add features being suggested via ROM images, that would be great.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
DM41X Beta SN: 00027
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

hi Thomas,

If I remember correctly, many extras were asked for by users, some not familiar with the original 42S, above and beyond the original 42s capabilities. Can it do this, will it do that, let’s add...

The initial proposal was a clone of the 42 taking advantage of extra memory, flash memory, display and etc. As you know, (as a creator of the emulation) it was the original 42s emulation with an addition of 41CX time functions (some not all).

As in the CL the extra functions are all ROM located (YFNZ / YFNS) and etc. My statement was to clone the 41CX and add functions to the DM41X systems ROM that stays resident.

As time progresses someone has to say, any more changes and this is no longer a 42S / 41CX but a whole new calculator.

I think that will be the 43.

Cheers
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Ah, OK. I thought it sounded like you were holding up the DM42 as a cautionary tale of piling on too much additional functionality on top of the original, and that confused me a bit. The DM42 certainly has a good amount of extra functionality, but I haven't heard anyone complain there is too much of it. :D
Geoff Quickfall

holding up the DM42 as a cautionary tale of piling on too much additional functionality on top of the original
Nothing could be farther from the truth! The 42s enhancements made it useful for me in the work environment just as enhancing the 41 with ‘state file saving and etc’ via 41x ROM commands would be an enhancement.

Both should and have remained true to their roots!

There may be a fine line where enhancements create a new calculator. The 41 system seems to be more amenable to remaining pure as any extra changes can be assigned to the ROMs and since there is an existing dm41x ROM the change can be in that module.

Cheers, Geoff
Walter

Post by Walter »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 pm
The 42s enhancements made it useful for me in the work environment just as enhancing the 41 with ‘state file saving and etc’ via 41x ROM commands would be an enhancement.

Both should and have remained true to their roots!
Maybe I misunderstand, but those two sentences look like an oxymoron to me. I can't deduce the second from the first in any way. Please help. :?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

Ahhh!

The OXY: :D

The original 42S was supposed to include timing functions similar to the 41C but was crippled by the company as other projects took precedent (48 RPL series being one). It of course suffered from low memory; 7K versus the 32K RAM it was designed for as well as no computer connectivity. It was also not designed to be a full graphing calculator.

So the DM42S has corrected the shortfalls from the original design. That is, even with enhancements including 41CX time commands, connectivity, and limited graphing due to the enhanced screen, in my opinion, it Is still a 42s and not a 43 (entirely new calculator).

The MORON: :?

The DM41X also solves shortfalls in the original design, this time due to computer incompatibility with respect to connectivity and memory shortfall due to technology changing over time.

The OXYMORON: :shock:

The 41C series of calculators grew and advanced with technology with the ROM module system. The 41C / CV became CXs with extended memory, extended functions and time modules. IR printing became available with the Blinky module. More RAM with ramboxes and many more connectivity kits. Therefore a 41C, even by HP, was changed dramatically by ROM modules and other accessories. It was expected that the 41 would grow. This is very unlike the 42S which was locked in to its design.

My statement refers to the DM42S remaining within its design envelope as in envisioned by HP. The DM41X on the other hand, is expected to change over time due to ROM creation as was the 41 series. The DM41X operating system existing as a ROM allows enhancements which keep the base as envisioned by HP, the same.

I am saying (rather inelegantly) that a 42S user and a 41CX user should be able to pick up a DM42s and DM41X respectively and recognize them as emulations (clones) of the original system, albeit with enhancements. they should be able to use them immediately and with muscle memory like riding a bicycle. They should not be of the opinion that this is an entirely new calculator.

I think the DM projects recognize this. Thanks Swiss Micros.

Now the 43, that is a new calculator, and an exciting one at that!

Cheers
Ángel Martin

Post by Ángel Martin »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:40 pm

I am saying (rather inelegantly) that a 42S user and a 41CX user should be able to pick up a DM42s and DM41X respectively and recognize them as emulations (clones) of the original system, albeit with enhancements. they should be able to use them immediately and with muscle memory like riding a bicycle. They should not be of the opinion that this is an entirely new calculator.
Perfectly stated! 100% agreement here...
BTW I'm still trying to get over the muscle memory glitch with R/S, CLX and USER-PRGM