Screen update/refresh issue

Please report issues with the DM41X Beta Firmware in this sub-forum
Peet

Screen update/refresh issue

Post by Peet »

I noticed missing screen-updates in 2 different cases.

1. If you start a program with XEQ "ABC" the status line shows farther the previous progam-name.
2. If you use CLA in a program in "System Info View XA mode" the alpha-line shows further the deleted text.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
EM41

Re: Screen update/refresh issue

Post by EM41 »

When a program is running only the lowest line on the display whether that is the alpha or X register is updated.
Had the same issue when I wanted to write a clock program for multiple timezones.
Its documented in the manual.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
Peet

Post by Peet »

EM41 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:02 pm
When a program is running only the lowest line on the display whether that is the alpha or X register is updated. ... Its documented in the manual.
That's not exactly correct. If you switch Alpha on and off during a PSE (in "System Info View XA mode"), the alpha line is updated.
It's a little inconsistent and not as described in the manual. It would be more elegant if CLA, VIEW, AVIEW and PSE refresh the whole display too.

But in my first example it is more then just unpleasant, it's a real bug if the status display shows a wrong program-name.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

The display is not updated while a program is running, including no refresh of the SI area before execution begins. So if you XEQ "PROG", the display (including the current program name) is not updated until execution ends, then the entire screen is refreshed. As EM41 noted, this is explained in the manual.

To me, this explains the behavior in both the cases you describe, although it's possible I'm not understanding what you're describing. If you think it doesn't, please try explaining it again differently, or with some exact step-by-step instructions/observations. If there really is a bug, then we really want to know.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Peet

Post by Peet »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:48 am
To me, this explains the behavior in both the cases you describe, although it's possible I'm not understanding what you're describing. If you think it doesn't, please try explaining it again differently, or with some exact step-by-step instructions/observations. If there really is a bug, then we really want to know.
Even if both cases are explained, it's still a unpleasant bug. If I have 2 Programs to solve the same task (eg. PN1 and PN2) and want to compare them and run PN1 with GTO "PN1" R/S the Display says "Program: PN1" while PN1 running. If I start the 2nd one with XEQ "PN2" the Display says further "Program: PN1" while PN2 is running. It is irritating to show a false name in the status area when a program ist running. XEQ "PROG" should refresh the program-name in the display.