(Solved) Unclear "Save Raw Program" behaviour

Please report issues with the DM41X Beta Firmware in this sub-forum
jthole

(Solved) Unclear "Save Raw Program" behaviour

Post by jthole »

I am running the latest firmware (2.1) on my DM41X, and I see something strange in the "Save Raw Program" file menu:

When the Alpha register is empty, and I select "Save Raw Program" from the Setup -> File menu, the "<new file>" dialog asks me for the name, and the raw is saved under that name.

Alpha register: empty
"New file" dialog: aa.raw
Result: aa.raw written

When the Alpha register is NOT empty, and I select "Save Raw Program" from the Setup -> File menu, the "<new file>" dialog also asks me for the name, and I get a "NAME ERR" error message.

Alpha register: not empty
"New file" dialog: aa.raw
Result: "NAME ERR"

Either the specified name in the "New file" dialog should always take precedence over the Alpha register, or the "Save Raw Program" should always use the name in the Alpha register, and should not ask you to specify a filename instead.

Edit: solved; error was in me misreading the documentation.
Last edited by jthole on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM42 s/n 06181 DM41X s/n \(\beta\)0005 (sold)
Peet

Re: Unclear "Save Raw Program" behaviour

Post by Peet »

If the Alpha register is not empty, than the DM tries to save the Program with the first LABEL with the name in the Alpha.
If the are the letters "ABC" in the alpha then the DM tries to save the Program that has LBL "ABC" as the first label.
If ABC is in alpha and there is no LBL "ABC" then you get the name error.
If the alpha is empty than the DM saves the current program.

The "Filename" is the name for the .raw-file on the FAT-drive. It can be the same name like the label but it don't have to.
I.e. LBL "ABC" can be saved as alphabet.raw
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
jthole

Re: Unclear "Save Raw Program" behaviour

Post by jthole »

Peet wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:59 pm
If the Alpha register is not empty, than the DM tries to save the Program with the first LABEL with the name in the Alpha.
If the are the letters "ABC" in the alpha then the DM tries to save the Program that has LBL "ABC" as the first label.
If ABC is in alpha and there is no LBL "ABC" then you get the name error.
If the alpha is empty than the DM saves the current program.

The "Filename" is the name for the .raw-file on the FAT-drive. It can be the same name like the label but it don't have to.
I.e. LBL "ABC" can be saved as alphabet.raw
Thanks!

I'll test, and report back :)

Re-read the documentation, tested on my machine, and it is consistent with your post. So all clear :)
DM42 s/n 06181 DM41X s/n \(\beta\)0005 (sold)