Display not updated in multiline PRGM mode

Please report issues with the DM41X Beta Firmware in this sub-forum
ecsfang

Display not updated in multiline PRGM mode

Post by ecsfang »

Hi,

First of all - I really like this new machine - my first (but not last - that's for sure) SM device!
I will really enjoy picking up my (almost) lost knowledge of this wonderful machine!

While playing around I found a small "glitch" in multiline program entry mode, when the last line is highlighted.

1. GTO ..
2. PRG ( to enter program mode)
3. SST ( to highlight .END.)

Now, if you enter a multi key instruction, the display will not be update while you enter the instruction.
I.e. type "RCL shift ." the display shows nothing (except the ".END.") until you complete the instruction (ie by pressing 'x'), first then "RCL IND x" is shown.

.END. REG 205 <-- Nothing shown after pressing "RCL shift ."

01 RCL IND X <-- Shown first after pressing "X"
.END. REG 205

(If you eg. only press "RCL ." and leave it there, then you can't leave program mode, press ENTER, shift etc, only the x, y, z, t, l, <- or ON keys are accepted, but not obvious from what is shown on the display ;))

If you enter "LBL alpha", then the "LBL _" is shown after alpha is pressed and it is shown as line 2, .END. being line 01 (but is changed to line 1 after instruction is completed). This is correct, that is the case on the original 41 as well, but on the original the "RCL", "LBL" etc are shown directly while you type, this is not the case on the DM41X.

I guess this has to do with the new multiline program entry mode and that the new instruction is being entered as the line after the .END..
Also since when using single line mode (status, X-reg and 1 program line on the display) the instructions are correctly shown.

Best regards,
Thomas
[35/45/55/65/67/97/21/25/29C/31E/33E/38E/41C|CV|CX/71B/10C/11C/15C/16C/32SII/42S/28S/48GX/49G/35S/DM41X(#00456)]
(7397)[134]
grsbanks

Re: Display not updated in multiline PRGM mode

Post by grsbanks »

Confirmed. I'll pass it on.

Thanks for picking up on this!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Ángel Martin

Post by Ángel Martin »

I don't think this is a serious bug, starting a program without a label instruction (either global or numeric) is a very rare situation. Besides, if you MUST start your program like that then it's easily avoidable: just use a dummy single-byte instruction first like ADV or similar NOP...
EM41

Post by EM41 »

It happens only in the multiline editing mode not in the "normal" prgm mode so I think it classifies as a bug.
Not a very critical one, never encountered it during normal use and "normal" mode works exactly as on the HP41.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
ecsfang

Post by ecsfang »

I think you misunderstood the description, but I agree that this is not a serious bug, it is more a cosmetic issue :)

The calculator doesn't miss any instruction, it is just that the display is not updated while you type the instruction if the last line (.END.) is highlighted when you start typing (and multiline PRGM mode is used) - so it has nothing to do with the first instruction of a program, rather the last one ;)

I would expect that if you press eg. "RCL" + shift + ".", then the display would show "RCL IND ST _" waiting for the final key, but in this case it shows nothing, just the ".END."-line as before you started typing. But as soon as you press eg. "X" then the display is updated to show "RCL IND X".
[35/45/55/65/67/97/21/25/29C/31E/33E/38E/41C|CV|CX/71B/10C/11C/15C/16C/32SII/42S/28S/48GX/49G/35S/DM41X(#00456)]
(7397)[134]
jjohnson873

Post by jjohnson873 »

I ran across this bug in the production version of the DM41X (firmware v.3.20). When I highlighted the last line of a program ".END. REG 209" and then entered <shift> VIEW, nothing shows up. Since it's waiting for two digits, it just sits there until you hit the back key, or two digits. It's a bit disconcerting when you first experience it. For new users who don't know any better, it appears like the DM41X is locked up. I would vote that it's a bug and needs to be fixed in future firmware releases. It should not behave this way since it behaves normally with a single key function (i.e. SQRT), or number, showing that number or function as it increments to the next program line.
DM41X S/N: 00010(beta), DM41X S/N: 0866(production) and some other HP calcs.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

It is definitely a bug, but obscure and involves no loss of data, etc. so not (at least IMHO) critical.

It's on a shiny new list, empty until now, of things to be corrected in the future... :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100