Assigning a function to key shift 5

Please report issues with the DM41X Beta Firmware in this sub-forum
Geoff Quickfall

Assigning a function to key shift 5

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Condition:

1. Any function assigned to the shifted position of key 3,5 (the BST).

2. This assignment is then automatically assigned to the unshifted up arrow key.

This results, in USER mode two assignments of the same type on the shifted BST and the unshifted up arrow key.

Also

One can remove the assignment from both positions by clearing the assignment on the unshifted up arrow key.

Ex.

HMS- assigned to the shifted SST (BST) position automatically copies the assignment to the unshifted up arrow key.

Conversely

Using ASN ALPHA ALPHA to the up arrow key removes the HMS- assignment from both keys

Threw me for a loop (for a second) in PRG mode with USER on. As I was cursoring (word?) upwards through the program I got HMS- code entered for each press of the unshifted up arrow key. Of course not in USER mode the arrow keys are working correctly.

I can see the relationship between the BST and up arrow key and the SST and down arrow key. So I assigned HMS+ to the unshifted SST position and HMS- to the shifted SST (BST) position and the arrow keys in USER mode mimic the assignments made to the SST key.

Not a big deal but I thought that the up and down arrow key would be independent of the SST and BST

OR

Could they be made independent of the SST and BST key?

Geoff
Ángel Martin

Re: Assigning a function to key shift 5

Post by Ángel Martin »

Very funky indeed! Definitely not a desirable situation, I hope the up/down arrows functionality gets revised from the ground up - there are several glitches at the moment.
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

Ángel Martin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:17 pm
Very funky indeed! Definitely not a desirable situation, I hope the up/down arrows functionality gets revised from the ground up - there are several glitches at the moment.
In my opinion, the Up/Down arrow keys must not be assigned : imagine you edit a program with such assignments... and the same for BST/SST of course !
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Not upset with the SST / BST assignability. Again only because I am used o this behaviour from the original. For me, the arrow keys having a duplicate assignment is a bug. They should be standalone.

I can see other users, say someone that loves the 42S ;) seeing this assignability as a problem even for the SST / BST.

I guess it is like using a left handed hammer versus a right handed hammer. :shock: :D