Working on overlays for advanced math and complex numbers

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
macgarvin

Working on overlays for advanced math and complex numbers

Post by macgarvin »

I've been working on DM41X overlays using Adobe Illustrator. Here are two examples, for Ángel Martin's Sandmath Module

DM41x Sandmath Overlays photo.jpeg
DM41x Sandmath Overlays photo.jpeg (219.25 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

and here is the (reduced scale and res) output for the Deluxe++ Complex Number Module -

DM41x-41Z Deluxe++ Complex Number Module-SwissMicro original dimensions reduced.jpg
DM41x-41Z Deluxe++ Complex Number Module-SwissMicro original dimensions reduced.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

I'm pretty happy with the results. It certainly changes the DM41x experience having a set of overlays to hand

I'd happily share the full-size .png but would need Ángel's permission and perhaps proof reading first - have written a pm but it's just sitting in my outbox - so if you read this Ángel could you let me know how you feel about this, and I can send a link to the full size PNGs?

Malcolm
Ángel Martin

Re: Working on overlays for advanced math and complex numbers

Post by Ángel Martin »

Hello Malcolm,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I completely missed your PM since lately have rarely logged into the forum.
Thanks for putting the work with these overlays, they look great and I'm sure will be appreciated by the DM-41X users.

I'm happy to see them available for the DM-41X, so by all means go ahead releasing your fine job to the community as you see appropriate.

Best wishes,
ÁM

PS/ Will you be cutting the actual overlays as well? If so let us know how to get a set ...
macgarvin

Post by macgarvin »

Thanks Ángel, much appreciated.

I'll start posting them up on this thread shortly.
Ángel Martin wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:14 am
PS/ Will you be cutting the actual overlays as well? If so let us know how to get a set ...
Nice idea but Early Days. I did look into pricing for printing and laser cutting in the UK. For the minimum run I've found, of 25, it's around £3.40-4.20 per overlay, £85-£105 for the batch, and for the purpose of this estimate assume same €/$ price. Postage would add considerably to that; so it might be sensible to do a batch of, say, 5 popular overlays. My ideal solution, if there was enough interest, would be for SwissMicro to be persuaded to add these sets to future DM41x sales and offer retrospective orders for the sets. The bigger run would reduce the price, but perhaps only by around 15%.

Meanwhile I've been very happy with the result of printing onto semi-gloss photo paper (which are often resin rather than paper), cutting out the keyholes with a craft knife, and then running around the keyholes with black ink - the ink means that any imperfections in one's cutting technique tend not to show up (within reason).
macgarvin

Post by macgarvin »

Unfortunately there is a fly in the ointment before you can print out your perfect overlay (see later posts).Your printer may not print to millimetre precision, and that is important for the overlay to fit neatly over the keys. Moreover the scaling of your printer may be different in the horizontal and vertical dimensions.

So rather than wasting ink and time cutting out keyholes with care on one of the actual overlays, only to find it doesn't fit, download this outline first

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaievdotpnxlo ... s.png?dl=0

Then print it, measure the horizontal and vertical dimensions, and if necessary rescale the actual overlays by the necessary proportions before printing.

Below is a crude jpg so that you can see what you'll be downloading, but use the linked above, not the image you can see here!

DM41-42 test template for printed dimensions.png
DM41-42 test template for printed dimensions.png (67.92 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

Malcolm
Last edited by macgarvin on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
macgarvin

Post by macgarvin »

Links for the two overlays for Ángel Martin's superb Sandmath Advanced Math Extensions module - Specifically 'SandMath_44 - Version 4x4, revision “T” ' May 2021.

I've provided them as 1200 dpi png files to avoid your having problems with missing fonts etc when you come to print them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chcsarxc4y4pg ... s.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9n0nzxjo46cr ... s.png?dl=0

To assist legibility, the typefaces are slightly larger than those on the original keyboard. Nevertheless you will likely need to print at the highest resolution you have on your printer, and print onto photo paper rather than ordinary paper or card (also to maximise sharpness). I've had pleasing results with semi-gloss photo paper.

See the earlier generic post regarding fine tuning the scaling for your printer, and why you may need to do this. I ignore (cut off) the lugs, but have left them on in case anyone is using them.

So you can see what you will be downloading, below are two low resolution versions. But use the links, not these!

DM41x-Sandmath 4x4 rev T Overlay 1 (reduced).png
DM41x-Sandmath 4x4 rev T Overlay 1 (reduced).png (90.74 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

DM41x-Sandmath 4x4 rev T Overlay 2 (reduced).png
DM41x-Sandmath 4x4 rev T Overlay 2 (reduced).png (95.5 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

If you need it, here is a link for the Sandmath module and manual

http://www.hp41.org/LibView.cfm?Command ... temID=1233

For it to function you will also need Ángel Martin's Library#4 module and manual

http://www.hp41.org/LibView.cfm?Command ... temID=1027

Just install both of them as you would any other module (you don't need to know anything about Library#4!)

Cheers, Malcolm
macgarvin

Post by macgarvin »

Links for the overlay for Ángel Martin's Deluxe++ Complex Number Module

I've provided two versions. One with various functions marked in purple (so that one can quickly distinguish from other overlays, and one with these functions in blue, which will then be consistent with Ángel's manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u7bk0qog6oj8 ... 9.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9math9cbs5lz3 ... 9.png?dl=0

See previous posts re. scaling and optimising printing.

Below are two down-scaled images of the two versions, so you can see what you will be downloading. But use the links above, not these!

DM41x-41Z Deluxe++ Complex Number Module-overlay (purple text)(reduced).png
DM41x-41Z Deluxe++ Complex Number Module-overlay (purple text)(reduced).png (95.75 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
DM41x-41Z Deluxe++ Complex Number Module-overlay (blue text)(reduced).png
DM41x-41Z Deluxe++ Complex Number Module-overlay (blue text)(reduced).png (92.68 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

And, finally, a link to Ángel's module and manual:

http://www.hp41.org/LibView.cfm?Command ... temID=1293

Malcolm
Last edited by macgarvin on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

macgarvin wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:10 am

I've provided two versions. One with various functions marked in purple (so that one can quickly distinguish from other overlays, and one with these functions in blue, which will then be consistent with Ángel's manual.
There's a very small mistake in the blue version: the LASTx/Z label has a purple slash when (I presume) it should be blue.
macgarvin

Post by macgarvin »

BruceH wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:36 am
macgarvin wrote:

There's a very small mistake in the blue version: the LASTx/Z label has a purple slash when (I presume) it should be blue.
Well spotted (and eagle eyed!) Corrected in the original, hi-res and low res versions
M
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

macgarvin wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:22 am
BruceH wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:36 am
macgarvin wrote:

Well spotted (and eagle eyed!) Corrected in the original, hi-res and low res versions
M
Not quite eagle-eyed enough as I've found another one.

On the Deluxe++ templates there is a small blob just to the right of the Enter key which partially obscures what looks to be two up arrows. I'm not sure whether it's a mistake or deliberate because you wanted to simulate the Unicode "upwards harpoon with barb rightwards" character U+21BE?

The same blob is present on the Sandmath templates but there the text is on top of it so it doesn't matter.
nephilim

Post by nephilim »

What about the red label on the right side of the "1/x" key? It seems to be partially hidden.

Bottom row "DOT" is not vertically centered relative to the key.
DM42 (free42, C47), DM15L, HP15C CE, HP35s, HP33s