Organize programs and overview of catalogs

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
Peet

Organize programs and overview of catalogs

Post by Peet »

One of the big innovations on the HP-42s compared to the HP-41 models is the organization of programs through menus. Since there was no external memory, a very large number of programs were unlikely and one menu level was sufficient (with the Free42 or DM42, however, you also had to improvise, e.g. using custom menus). Later, i.a. with the HP48gx, a hierarchical file system was introduced to be able to group programs and other objects.

However, on the HP-41 we had to live with linear catalogs. With four modules insert, going through the LBLs with CAT 2 on the HP41C/CV could take a long time and that was far from being clear. With the X-Fuction module or the HP41CX, a second hierarchical level (CAT 2 now only shows the modules, the content is listed after ENTER) was a little better. There was a little more comfort with third-party modules (e.g. CCD) with the option to start programs from CAT 2 (which was always been possible with own programs from CAT 1).

On my HP-41CV I always used small start or directory programs for the most interesting module content. I now use it on the DM42X in an improved form, like for my game-module:

In this example HL, BJ, SWR, WO and BOERSE can be started directly via LBL A to E.
In program mode, the individual programs can be controlled with SST and can be started with R/S after exiting the program mode.

Code: Select all

LBL "DG"
SF 27
"HL.BJ-SW-WO.BO"
PROMPT
RTN

GTO "S"
GTO "V"
GTO "ZZ"
GTO "TO"
GTO "SZ"
GTO "ST"
LBL A
GTO "HL"
GTO "MO"
LBL B
GTO "BJ"
LBL C
GTO "SWR"
GTO "GAME"
GTO "SENSO"
GTO "TE"
LBL D
GTO "WO"
GTO "WUMPUS"
GTO "POKER"
LBL E
GTO "BOERSE"
END
and

Code: Select all

LBL "S"		; hpw-game_1.mod
XROM 26,43	; FAST
XROM 26,36	; TRNG (seed for ZZ)
STO 00
XROM 15,01 	; LBL "S"
END
How do you organize your programs and calls of module functions on the DM41X, does anyone have any other ideas on how to keep track of things?
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42