Could someone educate me on options for HEPAX RAM size?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
Dave Britten

Could someone educate me on options for HEPAX RAM size?

Post by Dave Britten »

I've got a Standard HEPAX 1D "plugged into" my 41X, and the module seems to have 4 ROM pages and 2 RAM pages (8 KB). The two RAM pages are occupying bank 1 of pages 8 and 9.

What are my options for increasing the amount of HEPAX RAM in the system? Can I fill the other three banks of pages 8 and 9? And can I do it without losing what's already stored in the HEPAX?
MeinKuipers

Re: Could someone educate me on options for HEPAX RAM size?

Post by MeinKuipers »

HEPAX supports up to 4 RAM pages, but these are not banked. So if you want 4 RAM pages (which appears to be the maxiumum for HEPAX) it would take pages 8, 9, A and B, although the page assignment is dynamic and depends on other modules in use.
In the DM41X the best option is to get a pre-cooked MOD file with 4 pages, as the RAM pages use a structure to link them together. You can actually play with the links yourself (WARNING: may invalidate all HEPAX RAM pages) and keep some RAM free for a simulated ROM page.

Recommended reading is the HEPAX manual, there is a good searchable copy available at hp41.org
Regards from NL,
Meindert Kuipers DM41X #48
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

Okay, so a 16 K Advanced HEPAX with 4 pages would be the maximum RAM configuration? There's no way to stack all of that into 4 banks of the same page, is there? Where might one find a module that's been configured for 4 RAM pages? The one on hp41.org seems to be a 2-page 8 K version.
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

Thanks for that question, Dave, to which I would like the answer as well.
While we're at it, what's the difference between the HEPAX-1D and the HEPAX-4H in Angel's module list? I've searched hither and thither but can't seem to find a description of the differences. All I find is the HEPAX-1G on hp41.org, but until I get a 41X there's no way to know if that is a 4K or 8K or even more. (I would like a 16K as well).
Cheers, Werner
41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE, DM15L
Ángel Martin

Post by Ángel Martin »

Perhaps the attached helps...
Cheers,
ÁM
Attachments
HEPAX 4H Modifications.pdf
(79.91 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Ángel Martin

Post by Ángel Martin »

Dave Britten wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 am
Okay, so a 16 K Advanced HEPAX with 4 pages would be the maximum RAM configuration? There's no way to stack all of that into 4 banks of the same page, is there? Where might one find a module that's been configured for 4 RAM pages? The one on hp41.org seems to be a 2-page 8 K version.
Not quite, you can configure as many HEPRAM pages as you want, of course with a maximum of 8 pages (or 32k) assuming your HEPAX ROM is tucked away in page 6 and no other ROMs are plugged.

The way to do this is by editing the HEPAX File Chain pointers. There is a function in the POWER_CL (HEPINI) that allows you to do this on the CL, but that's not possible on the DM-41X - because as Meindert has already mentioned pre-configured HEPAX MOD files need to be prepared..

You may read about this in the Power_CL Manual section covering the HEPAX support and utilities.The manual is available here: http://www.systemyde.com/pdf/POWERCL_EXT_P_Manual.pdf
On the CL the maximum number of HEPRAM pages is 7 (one less than the theoretical value) because the POWER_CL module already uses up one page.
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

Thank you, Angel.
Does this mean HEPAX_4H needs the LIB4 module as well? It's not clear for me..
It isn't .. the very last line of your document, sorry!
Werner
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

whuyse wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 am
Thank you, Angel.
Does this mean HEPAX_4H needs the LIB4 module as well? It's not clear for me..
It isn't .. the very last line of your document, sorry!
Werner
I believe the intention of that last comment is that LIB4 is not needed for either the original or the 1G version, but I believe LIB4 IS required for the HEPAX_4H version; the "4" in the file name is a reminder of the dependency on LIB4. As a minimum, it would be required for the sub-function catalogs as described towards the top of the doc.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
MeinKuipers

Post by MeinKuipers »

whuyse wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:49 am
Thanks for that question, Dave, to which I would like the answer as well.
While we're at it, what's the difference between the HEPAX-1D and the HEPAX-4H in Angel's module list? I've searched hither and thither but can't seem to find a description of the differences. All I find is the HEPAX-1G on hp41.org, but until I get a 41X there's no way to know if that is a 4K or 8K or even more. (I would like a 16K as well).
Cheers, Werner
You can test on the excellent V41 emulator on your PC, no real hardware needed (except a Windows PC)
Regards from NL,
Meindert Kuipers DM41X #48
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

No I can't. The only PC I have is a company-issued laptop on which I am not allowed and not able to install any *.exe except the ones in 'the list'. All I have on the side are iOS machines, and i41CX+, which is a possibility. But the DM41X is on its way ;-)
Werner