Request for feature: alternate font

Discussion about the new DM41X calculator
toml_12953
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 7:46 pm
Location: Malone, NY USA

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by toml_12953 »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 pm
Conversely, someone that disagrees with a suggestion should feel free to ask "Why would you want such a thing, it makes no sense to me, at least for the way I use it?" without expecting to be jumped for daring to ask why?
I don't agree that people should be able to ask why anyone would want it. People want what they want. Just because it doesn't make sense to me doesn't mean no one else should want it. If it was up to me, the HP Prime would have no CAS mode and run Python as its native language. Do I expect anyone else to agree? No, that's just what I would use. I never question why someone wants something as long as they admit it's a personal preference and not some universal requirement that's better than anything else. Better is such a subjective word, it's practically useless! Some people tell me their program is better than mine because it's faster or uses fewer keystrokes. I write programs for readability, maintainability, and ease of porting to other machines. To me it's not worth saving memory or making a program a few seconds faster by writing convoluted statements that I won't be able to figure out in a few month's or year's time. Also that's why I don't like APL or RPL. I can write a program in either one but if I try to modify it down the road, forget it! I call them write-only languages.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
Peet
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by Peet »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 pm
Guys... don't take this stuff so seriously, there is no need for these discussions to get personal; nothing is gained and most readers are turned-off and don't like the back-and-forth jabs.
After your first posting in this thread the topic should be from the table for a while instead of this some people changed the topic into bashing the HP-41 font, sometimes even without any arguments, that is a shame and not constructive. Discussions shoud be exchange of arguments instead. A low point has been reached when they become personal.
toml_12953 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:32 pm
I don't agree that people should be able to ask why anyone would want it.
I don't realy understand your point in this, I see it the other way around. In particular, questioning ideas or wishes that you do not share yourself helps to understand or comprehend them.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
rprosperi
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:48 pm
Location: New York

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by rprosperi »

Peet wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:14 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:32 pm
I don't agree that people should be able to ask why anyone would want it.
I don't realy understand your point in this, I see it the other way around. In particular, questioning ideas or wishes that you do not share yourself helps to understand or comprehend them.
I agree with Peet on this. I think it's healthy for people to ask 'why do want that?' if they simply don't understand the motivation. It's not about demanding that someone must justify their view, just simply asking why they want it, as it could be for reasons or uses the responder has not considered, and finding out why could provide insights and a fresh understanding of other viewpoints. If the answer doesn't help explain, or the responder still does not agree, then he/she is welcome to not agree, but doing so politely and with respect. Everyone's view is valid, even if it's downright 'wrong'. Your point about admitting something is a simple preference, as opposed to some manufactured justification, is also an important consideration and definitely should be employed more often than it typically is, but especially so when viewpoints diverge.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Peet
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by Peet »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:42 pm
Everyone's view is valid, even if it's downright 'wrong'.
+1 to your post, but I don't entirely agree with that point. So-called exclusionary opinions are not valid.
Thinks like "The only reason is ..." disrespects all other views. And as I said before, it is better to name the advantages of a request than to lower the status quo (and with it the opinion of others).
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
bernouilli
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:01 am
Location: France

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by bernouilli »

I would love to have the possibility to have the same font as the hp42s on the dm41x.
DM15L - DM42 - DM41x
User avatar
akaTB
Posts: 645
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by akaTB »

Now the real important thing: since the DM42 already is a multi-font device, when could we expect it to include the 41 font?
:mrgreen:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
User avatar
Walter
Posts: 2074
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm
Now the real important thing: since the DM42 already is a multi-font device, when could we expect it to include the 41 font?
:mrgreen:
Please allow me reminding you: the HP-42 was launched some years after the HP-41C. Guess which font is more progressive? What's the reason for your wish to rewind technical development? Why should anyone choose a font featuring less resolution? Just want to understand...
DM42 SN: 00041 β
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-35S; WP 34S & WP 31S for obvious reasons; DM16L
User avatar
akaTB
Posts: 645
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm
akaTB wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm
Now the real important thing: since the DM42 already is a multi-font device, when could we expect it to include the 41 font?
:mrgreen:
Please allow me reminding you: the HP-42 was launched some years after the HP-41C. Guess which font is more progressive? What's the reason for your wish to rewind technical development? Why should anyone choose a font featuring less resolution? Just want to understand...
Jesus Christ Walter! Do you have the faintest idea about the meaning of 'sense of humor'?

WTF does it mean when they launched? Also the 20S is newer than a 41C, guess which has the best font?
The reason? Because I like it. Does this fulfill your curiosity?
Do I really want this to happen? No, who cares.

And no, you don't want to understand, just make your point.
I know you since too many years...
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
User avatar
Walter
Posts: 2074
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 pm
Walter wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm
akaTB wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm
Now the real important thing: since the DM42 already is a multi-font device, when could we expect it to include the 41 font?
:mrgreen:
Please allow me reminding you: the HP-42 was launched some years after the HP-41C. Guess which font is more progressive? What's the reason for your wish to rewind technical development? Why should anyone choose a font featuring less resolution? Just want to understand...
Jesus Christ Walter!
Oooh Massimo, I'd never have called me this way! But if you do...

(It's like the postcard stating: Let's eat grandpa! And considerably smaller below: Punctuation can save lifes.)
DM42 SN: 00041 β
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-35S; WP 34S & WP 31S for obvious reasons; DM16L
User avatar
akaTB
Posts: 645
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Request for feature: alternate font

Post by akaTB »

Walter wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:08 pm
akaTB wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 pm
Walter wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm

Please allow me reminding you: the HP-42 was launched some years after the HP-41C. Guess which font is more progressive? What's the reason for your wish to rewind technical development? Why should anyone choose a font featuring less resolution? Just want to understand...
Jesus Christ Walter!
Oooh Massimo, I'd never have called me this way! But if you do...

(It's like the postcard stating: Let's eat grandpa! And considerably smaller below: Punctuation can save lifes.)
I'm sure that you're older than 33.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Post Reply