Getting NAME ERR when I save program raw files

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
PierreMengisen

Re: Getting NAME ERR when I save program raw files

Post by PierreMengisen »

HPMike wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:57 am
I was getting lower case, i.e. AREA was entered as area. It was as if a phantom [shift] was being entered, although, I don't even know how it entered a lower case r, if it was shifted it would be a 7.
This happens when the OSX_BS4X module is loaded. To change this setting, XEQ TGLC (toggle lowercase) is needed.
See at http://hp41.org/file/AMC_OSX%20Manual.pdf
Pierre
[TI59 with PC100C; TI-84 Plus CE-T; HP41CV with HP IL loop & 2*82161A DCD & 82162 TP; HP15C; HP28S; DM41; DM41L; DM42; DM41X]
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Things seem to have stabilized and I'm no longer getting weird behavior, since I re-flashed with the production firmware again. When I type [shift][CATALOG], I no longer get extra random symbols following CAT like maybe CAT'| or the like. Also, when entering alpha characters into the alpha register, I was getting lower case, i.e. AREA was entered as area. It was as if a phantom [shift] was being entered, although, I don't even know how it entered a lower case r, if it was shifted it would be a 7. Anyway, now it works properly, so AREA is entered as AREA, SPEED as SPEED, POLY as POLY etc. I repeatedly do a program save to .raw file, and lately no more NAME ERR issues. One question, I had set my clock to 12HR mode (AM/PM), but I just noticed that it had reverted to the default 24HR. How did that happen ?
I agree with Massimo's comment, all those symptoms sound like OSX was installed; if you're not familiar with the OS extensions it offers, behavior can seem unexpected; for example it enhances the CAT function to offer many things beyond the usual 1-6, and indeed it adds a ['] character following "CAT" as a reminder of the enhanced features.

The clock in the Title bar formatting also controls the clock (and date) setting in the 41OS (and vice-versa). It's possible that resetting the unit led to the 24-hour format default?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

akaTB wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:36 am
HPMike wrote:
I no longer get extra random symbols following CAT like maybe CAT'| or the like. Also, when entering alpha characters into the alpha register, I was getting lower case, i.e. AREA was entered as area. It was as if a phantom [shift] was being entered, although, I don't even know how it entered a lower case r, if it was shifted it would be a 7.
Were you using OS/X module, by chance?
Yes, and now I’m not after re-flashing the firmware. I had loaded it in a vain attempt to control flag 55, so that I didn’t need to unplug the thermal printer module when using programs with VIEW and AVIEW without the IR printer being present. As Pierre M. has explained in the next post, this is the cause of this behaviour, and I will no longer plug it in, since it won’t be used anymore.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

PierreMengisen wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 am
HPMike wrote:
I was getting lower case, i.e. AREA was entered as area. It was as if a phantom [shift] was being entered, although, I don't even know how it entered a lower case r, if it was shifted it would be a 7.
This happens when the OSX_BS4X module is loaded. To change this setting, XEQ TGLC (toggle lowercase) is needed.
See at http://hp41.org/file/AMC_OSX%20Manual.pdf
Thanks !
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Looking more closely at the SAVEP command, I realize that the statement in section 6.2.4. Save RAW Program that "Note that the program name to save has to be prepared in (the) ALPHA register," is not entirely correct. If it is the current program that appears in PRG mode and is shown on the third line of the SI view, then the ALPHA register can be left blank, and it will save the current program. Also, if you enter the name explicitly, then it doesn't matter which program is current, and can even be <noname> when executing a Save RAW Program. So, I now leave the ALPHA register blank, and select the program I want to save from the CATALOG. Note that selecting a program from the CATALOG does NOT change the contents of the ALPHA register, even though the display will show LBL <t>selected name, so if the ALPHA register is blank, it will remain blank, and if it contains a different valid program name, then it will save that program and not the one selected from the CATALOG. Most of you experts probably know all this, but for the rest of us mere mortals, it would be helpful if the User Manual were to correct/clarify this statement.
Peet

Post by Peet »

There are different ways to save programs.

1. The card reader way
The user positions the calculator to a program via catalog-function or goto alpha <name> alpha and saves this on the data carrier (magnetic card). The content of the alpha register is irrelevant here.

2. The X-Function way
The user writes the name of the program to be saved in the alpha register and uses the function to save a program on a data carrier (X memory).

The DM41X uses variants of both ways for saving as RAW.
1. Catalog or goto alpha <name> alpha (alpha register must be empty) and save.
2. Name in the alpha register and save (position in the program memory does not matter).

Users of an X-Function module or an HP41CX are familiar with the 2nd way but for users of an HP41C(V) the first way is the usual one and the importance of the alpha register is not known. The second way is a little inconsistent to "normal" operation, as it corresponds more to indirect register-access and therefore not obvious for the HP41C(V). That was the reason why I didn't understand the function before the step by step example was posted.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 am
Looking more closely at the SAVEP command, I realize that the statement in section 6.2.4. Save RAW Program that "Note that the program name to save has to be prepared in (the) ALPHA register," is not entirely correct. If it is the current program that appears in PRG mode and is shown on the third line of the SI view, then the ALPHA register can be left blank, and it will save the current program. Also, if you enter the name explicitly, then it doesn't matter which program is current, and can even be <noname> when executing a Save RAW Program. So, I now leave the ALPHA register blank, and select the program I want to save from the CATALOG. Note that selecting a program from the CATALOG does NOT change the contents of the ALPHA register, even though the display will show LBL <t>selected name, so if the ALPHA register is blank, it will remain blank, and if it contains a different valid program name, then it will save that program and not the one selected from the CATALOG. Most of you experts probably know all this, but for the rest of us mere mortals, it would be helpful if the User Manual were to correct/clarify this statement.
Hmmm... I wrote a long reply to this, but apparently after editing and proofreading it, I failed to post it. Dang.

Short version: The manual will be clarified to note the option of saving the current program by leaving Alpha blank, and also explain that the filename you specify cannot contain special 41-unique characters (%, Sigma, Not Equals, etc.) which can be used in 41 Program labels.
--bob p

HPMike

Post by HPMike »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:40 pm
HPMike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 am
Hmmm... I wrote a long reply to this, but apparently after editing and proofreading it, I failed to post it. Dang.

Short version: The manual will be clarified to note the option of saving the current program by leaving Alpha blank, and also explain that the filename you specify cannot contain special 41-unique characters (%, Sigma, Not Equals, etc.) which can be used in 41 Program labels.
So, are filenames also restricted to a maximum of seven ALPHA characters, the way labels are ?
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm
So, are filenames also restricted to a maximum of seven ALPHA characters, the way labels are ?
No, there is no relationship between the filename used to store the .raw file (or any of the other files that may be saved) and the FOCAL program label. The 41OS is totally unaware of the files on FAT.

Also, you could just try saving a program to 12345678.raw
--bob p

HPMike

Post by HPMike »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 pm
HPMike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm
No, there is no relationship between the filename used to store the .raw file (or any of the other files that may be saved) and the FOCAL program label. The 41OS is totally unaware of the files on FAT.

Also, you could just try saving a program to 12345678.raw
So, are we talking DOS filename convention with a maximum 8 character name and a 3 character extension ?