Getting NAME ERR when I save program raw files

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
HPMike

Re: Getting NAME ERR when I save program raw files

Post by HPMike »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:41 pm
You cannot save a module program, even if it's FOCAL, directly from ROM, however you can copy it from ROM to RAM, and once it's in RAM (user program space) then save it as RAW in the normal way.
Still does not work. Used copy function, saw program filename in display and catalog, alpha register blank or with filename per top label. Still ger NAME ERR.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Peet wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 pm
Tried it in this way with two different PRG as <new file> and it works.
I was referring NAME ERR to a wrong name for the raw file. I never had the idea to put a LBL-Name in Alpha.
Great, looks like problem solved for you! :D

Thanks for checking and confirming.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 pm
rprosperi wrote:
You cannot save a module program, even if it's FOCAL, directly from ROM, however you can copy it from ROM to RAM, and once it's in RAM (user program space) then save it as RAW in the normal way.
Still does not work. Used copy function, saw program filename in display and catalog, alpha register blank or with filename per top label. Still ger NAME ERR.
Thanks for continuing to test this...

What module and what program filename, we can't duplicate it without the specifics.

As you have not mentioned 'normal' (non-module sourced) programs continuing to have trouble, does that mean those are working properly?
--bob p

HPMike

Post by HPMike »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:22 pm
HPMike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:03 pm
rprosperi wrote:
Thanks for continuing to test this...

What module and what program filename, we can't duplicate it without the specifics.

As you have not mentioned 'normal' (non-module sourced) programs continuing to have trouble, does that mean those are working properly?
It is program POLY in module MATH. Yes, all the programs that I have written work properly now. I can save them whether the alpha resister is blank or contains the global (focal) label name.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 pm

It is program POLY in module MATH. Yes, all the programs that I have written work properly now. I can save them whether the alpha resister is blank or contains the global (focal) label name.
Thanks for confirming 'normal' programs all work.

I can copy and save POLY from the MATH PAC without issues as follows:

Starting with MATH PAC installed, "POLY" NOT in user program area, and no poly.raw file in /PROG folder:

1. [xeq] [alpha] COPY [alpha]
2. [alpha] POLY [alpha] copies "POLY" program from MATH Pac
3. [shift] [CATALOG] [1] to see program catalog and confirm program is indeed in user RAM
4. [alpha] POLY [alpha] to put program I want to save to .raw into Alpha (note "POLY" is still in alpha from steps 2-3; you can retain that as-is and type nothing, or re-enter it exactly the same)
5. [cst] [4] to invoke Save RAW File
6. [Enter] to choose to save a New FIle
7. [p] [o] [l] [y] to spell out the target filename
8. [r/s] to complete entry and confirm the filename I just entered

==> No error message and when I connect to PC, I can see the file poly.raw in the /PROG folder
--bob p

HPMike

Post by HPMike »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm
HPMike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks for confirming 'normal' programs all work.

I can copy and save POLY from the MATH PAC without issues as follows:

Starting with MATH PAC installed, "POLY" NOT in user program area, and no poly.raw file in /PROG folder:

1. [xeq] [alpha] COPY [alpha]
2. [alpha] POLY [alpha] copies "POLY" program from MATH Pac
3. [shift] [CATALOG] [1] to see program catalog and confirm program is indeed in user RAM
4. [alpha] POLY [alpha] to put program I want to save to .raw into Alpha (note "POLY" is still in alpha from steps 2-3; you can retain that as-is and type nothing, or re-enter it exactly the same)
5. [cst] [4] to invoke Save RAW File
6. [Enter] to choose to save a New FIle
7. [p] [o] [l] [y] to spell out the target filename
8. [r/s] to complete entry and confirm the filename I just entered

==> No error message and when I connect to PC, I can see the file poly.raw in the /PROG folder
That worked. I skipped step 4, leaving LBL POLY in the alpha register. The saved file is not zero byte and there was no error. The only difference is that previously I did not use the CST key, but rather went through SETUP to do this. Also, last time when it didn’t work, I entered poly in step 4. So, I really don’t know why it did not work last time, but now works.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 pm
That worked. I skipped step 4, leaving LBL POLY in the alpha register. The saved file is not zero byte and there was no error. The only difference is that previously I did not use the CST key, but rather went through SETUP to do this. Also, last time when it didn’t work, I entered poly in step 4. So, I really don’t know why it did not work last time, but now works.
Great, thanks for your patience though this, glad it seems to be resolved all around. :D

FYI - There is no functional difference between [cst] [4] and [shift] [SETUP] [1] [4], it's just fewer keys using the CST menu.
--bob p

HPMike

Post by HPMike »

rprosperi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 am
HPMike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 pm
Great, thanks for your patience though this, glad it seems to be resolved all around. :D

FYI - There is no functional difference between [cst] [4] and [shift] [SETUP] [1] [4], it's just fewer keys using the CST menu.
I regret to report that the problem has crept up again. I had to do another reset, and load an earlier state file that didn’t contain the poly program. So, it seems that every time you save something, you need to check again to see if it still works, and then save another state file under a different name. Also, you need to frequently back everything up to a pc/mac to make sure you don’t lose anything newly saved.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Things seem to have stabilized and I'm no longer getting weird behavior, since I re-flashed with the production firmware again. When I type [shift][CATALOG], I no longer get extra random symbols following CAT like maybe CAT'| or the like. Also, when entering alpha characters into the alpha register, I was getting lower case, i.e. AREA was entered as area. It was as if a phantom [shift] was being entered, although, I don't even know how it entered a lower case r, if it was shifted it would be a 7. Anyway, now it works properly, so AREA is entered as AREA, SPEED as SPEED, POLY as POLY etc. I repeatedly do a program save to .raw file, and lately no more NAME ERR issues. One question, I had set my clock to 12HR mode (AM/PM), but I just noticed that it had reverted to the default 24HR. How did that happen ?
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

HPMike wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:57 am
I no longer get extra random symbols following CAT like maybe CAT'| or the like. Also, when entering alpha characters into the alpha register, I was getting lower case, i.e. AREA was entered as area. It was as if a phantom [shift] was being entered, although, I don't even know how it entered a lower case r, if it was shifted it would be a 7.
Were you using OS/X module, by chance?
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold