Re: Getting NAME ERR when I save program raw files

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04 pm
rprosperi wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 pm
HPMike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm
So, are filenames also restricted to a maximum of seven ALPHA characters, the way labels are ?
No, there is no relationship between the filename used to store the .raw file (or any of the other files that may be saved) and the FOCAL program label. The 41OS is totally unaware of the files on FAT.

Also, you could just try saving a program to 12345678.raw
So, are we talking DOS filename convention with a maximum 8 character name and a 3 character extension ?
Hint 1: Try using 123456789ABC.raw

Hint 2: There is a pattern in these replies
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
wmwk

Post by wmwk »

Had The same problem.

Wanted to save SPEED.raw.

Problem solved.

Name Error take a look at Benutzerhandbuch Seite 127 Mögliche Fehler NAME ERROR or
hp owners manual vol.1 page 127 possible error conditions...

aha.

At 1st
i typed into
Alpha-Register >SPEED<,

2nd
Setup>File>Save RAW Program>New File>
typed in <SPEED>
R/S

done

EDIT:
Since i had loaded at first the alpharegister there is no further problem in saving raw programs.
i tried speed20210509 and it was saved with full name.
no truncation.

i think there was a initial problem caused by (empty or filled with non printable sequences like "high value", "low value") alpha register.
DM41X v2.1 DMCP v3.20 (IFC 03.15).
PineappleOranges

Post by PineappleOranges »

Pardon my ignorance if this was already resolved, but I ran into this error just a moment ago. Quite frustrating after keying in 539 lines of code for the "Statics for Students" program, granted I can't get it to work quite right still(got to check for errors again).

Nevertheless, I tried looking for files in /Prog. There were none. Then I tried CLx,CLA,CLKEYS and it allowed me save raw files again. I saved a copy to computer before doing some brief testing. It seems performing CLA solves the problem of NAME ERR when trying to save raw files.

DM41x is my first experience with the 41, so pardon my ignorance if this is a standard procedure; however, if someone else does come across this issue as searches for a solution. I'd recommend performing CLA and then trying to save again.
Peet

Post by Peet »

PineappleOranges wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:46 pm
I'd recommend performing CLA and then trying to save again.
I think it is better to understand the correct procedure. The DM41X tries to save the program which name is in Alpha or the current one if alpha is empty.
Your suggestion may cause to save the wrong/an unwanted program.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
PineappleOranges

Post by PineappleOranges »

Peet wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:15 pm
PineappleOranges wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:46 pm
I'd recommend performing CLA and then trying to save again.
I think it is better to understand the correct procedure. The DM41X tries to save the program which name is in Alpha or the current one if alpha is empty.
Your suggestion may cause to save the wrong/an unwanted program.
Indeed. It is certainly better to know how the system functions, and it is just the reply I hoped to receive. Now I know why CLA solved my issue. Thank you! :]
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

FWIW, this is covered in the manual. Para 6.2.4 specifically:

https://technical.swissmicros.com/dm41x ... ve_raw_pgm
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Peet

Post by Peet »

If you are not familiar with the X-function set, this function is anything but intuitive. The length of this thread suggests that something is wrong with this function. In my case it was the error message itself, which ponited me in a completely wrong direction.

If I want to save a file and after entering a file name I get "NAME ERR" as result, my first idea is I chose a wrong or invalid filename and not a wrong LBL specified in the alpha register.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
Boub65

Post by Boub65 »

Hello,
I still think that the UI/UX of the DM41X regarding some topic are counter-intuitive... and this 7 pages thread confirms my impressions...

My older post about my impression about UI/UX here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2804

My point is still to separate DM41X instructions from DMCP features... and try to hide the "internal plumbing" to the end user...

Sincerley,
Boubker.
Sincèrement, Sincerely, 73,
Boubker

DM15L, DM41L, DM42 #00855 (domes upgraded), DM41X #00707
HP48SX (with dark screen), HP42s, HP32SII (1990 with fraction bug), HP41C/CV
TI-89 titanium, CASIO fx-cg50 and Numworks (to play with micropython)