HP 82240B Infra Red Portable Printer ?

Discussion about the new DM41X calculator
jonmoore

HP 82240B Infra Red Portable Printer ?

Post by jonmoore »

I managed pick one of these up for pocket change (having checked that it passed it's self test). I'd been intending to purchase one at the right price for a while as it functions with selection of my HP calcs but getting the DM41x firmed up my convictions. :geek:

I've one question for anyone who knows (possibly Bob?). Does anyone have a recommendation ref generic thermal paper? I've seen some listings that seem to be very reasonably priced but I'd prefer a recommendation rather than buying blind.

Many thanks in advance.
Geoff Quickfall

Re: HP 82240B Infra Red Portable Printer ?

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Staples small till paper rolls. A flat of 12 rolls. Get black.

Geoff
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

The official paper is HP 82175, which can often be found on eBay, etc. Sometimes you can get it super cheap (I bought a bundle of 5-6 boxes for only a few dollars a box) but sometimes it's outrageous too.

Don't get the HP82051A, as that's for the the HP-10 and -19C, and far too small.

Here's a listing for generic paper on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-4-x-85-1-P ... 4131856100

While that's not a bad deal, better can be found, but I picked it because it lists the specs.

Staples, Office Depot, etc. have this size too, typically listed for cash-registers, but it works fine, as long as the roll is not too large (number of feet) to fit into the cavity.

I agree with Geoff, get the black (even though blue is often cheaper).

Also, if you leave printouts in sunlight, the printing will fade rather quickly, so fold them and put them in a file, or book, etc.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Thanking you kindly Bob/Geoff. Good info.

I ordered a generic batch from a supplier here in the UK based upon both your feedback and other info I gathered via a trawl through various museum postings. £8 for 20 rolls, seemed worth the risk if it turns out to be pish. Urban Dictionary has you covered (regarding pish) for those that don't speak sarcastic Scotsman!
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:40 am

Geoff
I like blue print. How is black better? Does it last longer?
Tom L

If I buy someone a drink to congratulate them, is it a Mazel Tov cocktail?

DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

toml_12953 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 am
Geoff Quickfall wrote:

Geoff
The black is a bit easier to read when using graphics containing fine lines, e.g. only 1 pixel wide, due to the better contrast.

Also, in my experience, the black does last longer than the blue, but that's based only on a sample of 1 or 2 rolls.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Geoff Quickfall

Black has higher contrast.

I have two boxes of HP printer spools dating back to the nineties. Problem is they were not hermetically sealed and the chemical coating oxidizes(?). The upshot is, you have to unroll them about half way to get near the core where the heat sensitive chemical is. Otherwise the printing is very faint.

So I prefer the new rolls and never had a problem with my HP10, HP19C or my HPIL printers (both types) and the Infrared which I carry on the flight deck.

Funny story (well maybe not funny HAHA).

Got a call 4 years ago from a PhD candidate who wanted to collaborate over a paper on paleo climate change. He wanted to do a Meta analysis using raw data. Well I had raw data in the form of 20’ of the paper roll with data on it. (See https://youtu.be/eyKGfXEBsWQ. So this roll would be 30 years old. Of course when I unrolled them; they were kept in medicine vials, they were all blank. So whatever you print you better photocopy for a lasting record. Of course we couldn’t include my raw data as I only had the resultant refined conclusions.

Oh well.

Just heard form the Graduate committee at the university. They have acce;pied my proposal for my PhD with all the funding for all 4 years and I start in the fall. So out will come my HPIL and HP41CL for number crunching on my own routines. Should be fun!
Walter

Post by Walter »

Are you going to become a PTC? * Or collecting data on flights? Pausing for four years would ruin your license I guess...

*part time captain
DM42 SN: 00041 β
WP 43S running on this device

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-35S, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

rprosperi wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:05 am
toml_12953 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 am
Geoff Quickfall wrote:

Geoff
The black is a bit easier to read when using graphics containing fine lines, e.g. only 1 pixel wide, due to the better contrast.

Also, in my experience, the black does last longer than the blue, but that's based only on a sample of 1 or 2 rolls.
That has been my experience as well, based on using dozens of rolls of HP brand blue and black paper, first in a 19C (blue only), and later in an 82143A (blue at first, switched to black as soon as it became available).

I liked the blue color too, but the black paper is so much better in terms of contrast and fading I never switched back.
Geoff Quickfall

Walter wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:23 pm
Are you going to become a PTC? * Or collecting data on flights? Pausing for four years would ruin your license I guess...

*part time captain
Hi Walter,

I will be 63 in the fall. International max age is 65. The Research will be 4-5 years.

Senior captain on the 787 (me) can satisfy the legal max limit of 300 hours per 3 months by flying 9 - 12 days a month. For example I can fly to Hong Kong and back which credits 30 hours, Brisbane 33 hours. These are 3 to 4 days away from home each.

Or I could fly to Toronto from Vancouver and layover for a two day trip and only get 6 hours credit (inefficient) per day.

So as a senior captain flying efficient credit pairings I would be considered by the laymen to be a PTC :D even though by regulation I Am flying the max allowable hours.

So for the research, away from home 12 days Per month leaves a lot of time for lab work. After I retire I can full fill the teaching end of the PhD as I will have around 2 years left for that.

Big problem now of course is COVID. Layoffs for junior pilots and maybe position reductions (paid by size and speed of aircraft in North America). Bigger the airplane and faster it flys the higher the paycheque.

So if worse comes to worse and I get reduced to a copilot position or captain on a smaller aircraft well then I will retire as the pay and the pension will almost be equal. And then the PTC will be over and the FTS (full time student begins).

The upshot is, this is the perfect gig for going to school also, especially if senior and you can pick your flying to satisfy the hourly requirement. So not really PTC at all.

Cheers, Geoff