Where did my HEPAX RAM pages go?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM41X calculator
isene

Where did my HEPAX RAM pages go?

Post by isene »

I had four HEPAX RAM pages meticulously populated with programs, ascii and data files. I decided to try out the FUNSTUFFS module only to discover that HEPDIR now showed the HEPAX RAM to be empty. I remember something about this from another contributor here and that they reappeared when reverting back to the original module configuration. And so so I did. But alas, no luck. They're gone 😪.

How do I get them back?

As an additional comment - I would like the same grade of RAM and Flash control as on the CL. Then this wouldn't have been a problem.
Ángel Martin

Re: Where did my HEPAX RAM pages go?

Post by Ángel Martin »

This is a serious issue, it also happened to me twice when I moved the HEPAX from the initial location (which happens very easily if you're not super careful just by plugging another module). In one of those instances I was able to recover the RAM content by reverting to the initial configuration, but in the other it was lost forever. Not good.

I agree with you the managing of RAM pages should be more strict. For the HEPAX case they should be considered to be a part of the MOD file, like it works on V41. This was my feedback to the developer during Alpha testing.

Maybe there's a way to recover the gone RAM pages but I don't know how.

Also, how did you manage to create four RAM pages? I only get two when the HEPAX is plugged in and that setup is not editable?
isene

Post by isene »

Sorry, I meant two. But they're still gone...☺
isene

Post by isene »

As it stands now, HEPAX is unusable. With the purpose of the DM41X being the swapping and use of different modules, one should not save any content to HEPAX RAM.

Having some way of choosing your HEPAX RAM pages would be sweet as one could then have a stack of pages to pick and choose from.
Ángel Martin

Post by Ángel Martin »

isene wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 am
Having some way of choosing your HEPAX RAM pages would be sweet as one could then have a stack of pages to pick and choose from.
Exactly as on the CL, "alternative sets of Hepax RAM"

But I'd settle with the main issue resolved though, losing your RAM contents should never happen. Somehow that RAM needs to be preserved even if the HEPAX is unplugged and then reallocated to a different page, which may happen totally inadvertently when the user loads another module (thanks to the HEPAX reallocation functionality,
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Thinking out loud: Would it be possible to not load HEPAX into a slot but only load a pointer to the MOD file? That way, any changes to the module would be reflected in the MOD file itself and not disappear when the module is removed. Sort of like calling a function with parameters by reference rather than by value.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Confirmed, this can happen when the HEPAX module is loaded in a different page (which CAN happen simply by adjusting other modules). This will be corrected in a future BETA release.

Thanks for reporting and confirming this. I thought it was only me that experienced this, and assumed I did not fully understand HEPAX use... so, a little good news :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
isene

Post by isene »

This is somewhat related to HEPAX grabbing random XROM numbers (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2397) - because if we can decide to use a set of HEPAX RAM, we can have that page set have a specific XROM number (via HEXEDIT per page set). Solving this wisely will solve both issues.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:35 pm
I thought it was only me that experienced this, and assumed I did not fully understand HEPAX use... so, a little good news :)
Ditto :oops:
However I was able to recover my saved programs by tweaking back my config, so... I thought I was at fault.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
isene

Post by isene »

akaTB wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:16 pm
Ditto :oops:
However I was able to recover my saved programs by tweaking back my config, so... I thought I was at fault.
I believe you just got lucky. I tried tweaking modules back and forth to no avail.